Author Topic: Custom Lock  (Read 4447 times)

verbrugen

Custom Lock
« on: February 21, 2011, 02:00:44 AM »
I am looking for someone that can build a custom lock for a 1780-1790 flint rifle.  The rifle is an original that was converted to percussion.  This rifle was recently purchase by a family friend at a local gunshop for not alot of $$.  I am trying to convince the gentleman that purchased it to seek someone that knows what they are doing for proper restoration work.

Thanks
JAS

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Custom Lock
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 02:34:39 AM »
You'll probably get some differences of opinion here regarding reconverting it to flint again, but beyond the arguement, if the gun has the original lock plate and internal works a good job of reconverting will cost your friend about $250 / $350 or so. The price can depend on whether an original hammer, frizzen, etc are used. Also consider that the threaded hole in the barrel for the drum needs to be repaired to a touch hole, as well as how much metal has been burned away in the breech area.
Not to mention missing wood.

But its routinely done and in the end not that biig of a deal.
Ask whoever is being considered to do it for before and after pictures of other locks that he has done. A poorly done reconversion looks really bad!

John 
John Robbins

verbrugen

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 05:45:52 PM »
The original lock is gone, the percussion lock was done in the 20th century and the original lock cavity was filled with wood putty.  Fortunately when the percussion lock was removed the wood putty came out of the original lock cavity.  The lock is the only thing that  is missing, all the rest of the furniture is still intact.  The original lock plate was rather large based on the shape of the inlet.  Looking for a contact of someone who could build a decent replacement based on drawings of lockplate / sideplate style.

Thanks
JAS

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 05:52:20 PM »
Verbrugen..........where do you live.   This is a factor that will affect who I might recommend......Don

verbrugen

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 06:52:59 PM »
Don;

Southern Vermont,  The rifle is very good and the owner has already had a couple of dealers/collectors make offers. The owner wants to keep the rifle and I am trying to help point him in the correct direction so the piece gets put back together correctly.   The rifle has a what is thought to be the original owners name and date on the thumb plate.  The patchbox has a simple game bird head finial with no side panels.  The engraving on sideplate, trigger guard, patchbox all have bird motif.  The original lock was very large, almost military sized based on the lock cavity/side plate lock bolt spacings.

Any help is appreciated.
JAS

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 07:30:30 PM »
Can you post any pictures of the gun/lock area, and include the dimensions of the lock?
I have 3 or 4 original flintlocks, and I'm sure others here will have some as well, so an original lock is a possibility, even if a longshot.

It would also be cool to see the gun, and I'm sure the guys here can add some info regarding its maker, etc.

John
John Robbins

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 08:20:40 PM »
Any number of people can build a lock to fit the inletting.  One such possibility is by using a Chambers lockmakers kit which has an unshaped lock plate large enough to be formed to most any reasonably size inlet. But that would require someone thoroughly practiced in aging techniques or the lock will just not look as if it belongs.  Certainly try JTR's suggestion first regarding an original lock which might fit. 

keweenaw

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 09:50:13 PM »
It is going to much cheaper to modify a commercially available lock to the correct shape, etc. than to custom build a lock.  Based on the rest of the gun and the shape of the original lock mortise it should be possible to determine the appropriate style of lock.  Since you said large, the original might have been a round faced lock or even a recycled military lock.  Castings are available for a wide variety of military locks.  Even starting with casting will be cheaper, considerably, than starting a custom lock from scratch.

Tom

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 10:14:38 PM »
Verbrugen:  Photos would help a great deal to give us a reference for what we would be dealing with here.  Also how "authentic" does the lock have to be?  and is that question based on economics?   I have filled out a lot of lock plates and integral parts by hand and it is very time consuming.  That time will have to be paid for.   However if that investment is increasing  the value of the gun it might be worth it.   Restoration is tricky that way - one has to decide: is the gun worth it?  Is this a family heirloom?  Does the restorer have the necessary skills and tools to do the job?  and so on.   Just some things to consider - Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

verbrugen

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 11:35:19 PM »
I will see about photos,  I know I can get drawing / dimension of lockplate.  The normal commercial locks are all too small.  This is either going to be a handmade lock or perhaps something from TRS.  The only thing we have found close so far is an original Charleville military lock.

Thanks
JAS