Author Topic: Swivel breech barrel mechanics?  (Read 2963 times)

Tenn Hills Guy

Swivel breech barrel mechanics?
« on: October 14, 2008, 09:13:07 PM »
Building my first SB and wondering how to 'join' the barrels.  Now, with 13/16th's barrels, the forestock material is probably going to be almost transparent.  Rightly, or wrongly......, my barrels will essentially be 'joined'-no space in between.  I'm thinking of merely making an  'hourglass' looking dovetail joiner-for the front end of the barrels- and drilling a small hole throught the center to mount the forestock pieces.  Seems the 'patent' hook type breech ends should the breech end quite solidly.  So, what's the 'real solution'?  Bill

keweenaw

Re: Swivel breech barrel mechanics?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 12:11:22 AM »
Are you building a flinter or a perc?  The rifle will be very slim with 13/16 straight barrels.  Some original guns with slim barrels like that have wood between the barrels rather than just having the barrels directly joined as 1 5/8" isn't much room at the breech for the works that are necessary, and 13/16 center to center of the barrel flats will, as you say, give a transparent forestock.  If I were building one that slim I might not use any forestock at all. You might want to get Dave Water's book on building swivel breeches.  Even if you don't use his action design, you'll get a lot of practical suggestions.

Tom

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 02:12:25 AM »
Tenn Hills Guy

Go to my web site (www.davidpriceflintlocks.com) and click on swivel breech rifle kit.  There should be some information there that you can use.  Feel free to e mail me if you have any questions   (david@davidpriceflintlocks.com)

David

Tenn Hills Guy

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 02:59:48 AM »
[imhttp://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll232/TennBubba_photos/SBTrg3.jpgg][/img] This a Waters action; however, I'm using straight octagon barrels rather than swamped, or tapered.  That doesn't allow for lugs in between.  If one builds the action 'higher', you could allow for more space in between.  But, I'll work it out.