Author Topic: Gun Blueing & Browning  (Read 2497 times)

staylor67

Gun Blueing & Browning
« on: February 21, 2011, 07:37:38 AM »
Hello Out There,
I need some input on the history of bluing and browning. I always thought all colonial guns were browned. But when examining originals and reproductions I see different. Can anyone tell me what were the time lines between bluing and browning. I depict bluing was first in the colonies then many guns were browned after about 1770. Is this correct? Where the guns mainly temper blued or with salts and other chemicals? I have a book on the many methods of bluing and browning but it is unclear on dates. Also guns were in the white. I don't know how often this was done. Thanks in advance for any input.

staylor67 

Offline Rich

Re: Gun Blueing & Browning
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 08:01:45 AM »
My understanding is that Browning was not used until the late 1790's. Prior to that time, Charcoal Blueing was used, or the barrels were left bright. Charcoal Blue is obtained by burying the barrel in charcoal. It is a heat process. When double barreled shotguns came out, the barrels were soldered together. The heat of charcoal bluing could not be used. The barrels were browned.  That then carried over to rifles. Over the years, rifles left bright would rust and end up with a browned barrel. I'm not sure when Rust Blueing was used or on what. I always associate it with a fowler finish. The locks were case hardened. I believe that the color, if any, was then polished off, leaving a lock that looks bright.