Author Topic: opinions wanted on lock  (Read 5735 times)

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
opinions wanted on lock
« on: October 15, 2008, 02:53:35 AM »
 Does any one have any experience with the L&R percussion replacement lock for the Great plains Lyman rifle???
 How do they fit--etc.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 02:54:19 AM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Ionian

Re: opinions wanted on lock
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:16:49 PM »
Even if I knew I would be afraid to answer.

Please take it as a compliment.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 11:27:09 PM »
Looks like everybody is afraid to answer.  If that is the case how about sending me an E-mail.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 11:31:36 PM »
I'm not going to say a thing.

Because I don't know.

So, now that's out of the way, let me go on. The L&R locks I have used have been good machines. Sometimes they need some tweaking, but then again, whose lock doesn't?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 11:42:23 PM »
I have no direct experience, but I do recall reading an article in a magazine, probably Muzzleloader, in which they tried one of the L&R RPL series locks. Not sure if it was the one for the Lyman GPR or not.

Anyway, it was not just a simple drop in, but it required some wood removal. Nothing to get excited about.

Quality (according to the article) was typical L&R, and better than the original lock.

I can try to find the article and get more details for you, but I am vacationing in Colorado with my wife and won't be home until next Wednesday. Sorry.

Dale H

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 11:44:45 PM »
Well, if your accepting heresay evidence.... My understanding is that they do not just "drop in." They will need to be fitted though it should not be too significant.  I suspect you can handle it! I've also heard that they spark OK.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 11:49:58 PM »
I've also heard that they spark OK.

That would be different for a percussion.  :)

Tim C.

Dave K

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 12:22:45 AM »
Well, not to be a wise butt, but how good anyone screw up a perc. lock. If it could be screwed up, my experience says this company could do it.

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 01:19:48 AM »
It's not a Lyman, but I put one in a friends CVA Mt Rifle and it worked just fine. Minor wood removal and some lock polishing.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

George F.

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 01:35:32 AM »
Well, I'm not afraid. I used a RPL  on an Investarms (Cabelas) and it takes a while to RE-INLETT the RPL lock. It was a flint though. and not a percussion. I think what your looking for is the quality of the lock though...sorry. What I didn't like about the Investarms RPL lock the pan was kinda small and narrow. I guess that's because it was for a Hawken.   >>.Geo.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 01:51:15 AM »
Jerry,
I used one on a build.  It was inletted into a precarved TC Hawken replacement stock.  They call them drop in locks, but since they "replace" similar locks on guns of different manufacture, they are not.  On this one, the hole for the sear bar had to be massaged, while still working within the constraints of the existing mortise.  This also necessitated moving the triggers back a tad for best engagement.  There is very little wood for adjustment purposes and a fair amount of study might be required before you cut any wood.  The lock slicked up nicely and was infinitely better than the factory, coil spring lock.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson