Author Topic: S. Hawken..inspiration and tribute  (Read 49812 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
S. Hawken..inspiration and tribute
« on: February 27, 2011, 02:54:53 AM »
A couple of years ago, someone posted pictures of a Sam Hawken rifle on this site, and I fell deeply in love with it.  I surprised myself, because during the three years I worked for Don Robinson making what we called the Fraser River Hawken, I had a major part in making 186 of them, and I was certain that I'd never care to do another one.  Well, that goes to show you...never say never!
When I was at Dixon's Fair in '09, I bought a breech plug, butt plate and trigger guard, ordered a barrel from LC Rice, and bought one of his rolled sheet metal ribs.  I talked Tom Curran out of what I hoped would be a hard plain piece of maple, and what he sent was the hardest piece of wood I've ever worked (rock hard sugar maple from NY) but anything but plain.  The half stock blank weighed 11 pounds when it arrived, so I assumed it was still wet.  I weighed it every month for almost a year and it didn't lose any weight, so I knew it would be stable, but very heavy.  By the time I took off everything that didn't look like the images of the rifle that I was emulating, the rifle weighed in at 10.78 pounds.  It has a 1 1/8" - 1" x 36" long .62 cal Rice barrel and sheet metal underrib, soft soldered to the barrel, with 1/2" pipes silver soldered on prior, and rust blued.  I have left all of the hardware polished to 180 grit abrasive, and cold blued and scrubbed off, because I eventually want to have it colour case hardened.  The stock is sanded to 400 and scraped, and then stained with ferric nitrate, burnished, and finished with hot bees wax....I really like the finish, though I was shooting for a nicer colour - I wanted a little more red/brown, but that's what this piece of wood yielded.
There's a couple of things about the rifle that are interesting, for lack of a better word.  The trigger guard is stretched 1/8" longer through the bow to better emulate the original.  And the rear sight is a copy of the one on the rifle that Don Stith showed me at Dixon's in '07.  My front sight uses a copper base and pure silver blade.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 09:43:05 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Paddlefoot

Re: S. Hawken..inspiration and tribute
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 03:49:10 AM »
That is one beautiful rifle but my shoulder is turning black and blue from thinking about shooting that in .62.  Can you compensate for range holding up into the slot on that rear sight? It looks very interesting.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

greybeard

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 05:34:49 AM »
Absolutley great Taylor, Course what else would a body expect from your shop. Looks like a positive pitch on the stock that should help with the recoil somewhat. It's not like the ridiculous but plates that came with the old Sharon kits.
    I know the Good Book says that "Thou shalt not covet", but your work makes it really tough to obey that one.  Thanks for posting this one Taylor. Sets the bar a bit higher for the rest of us.   Cheers   Bob

Offline Skychief

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 05:46:06 AM »
Absolutely first-rate! :o

Please let us know how you like the rear sight once you shoot her.

Skychief.

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 06:10:35 AM »
That looks like at least $5000.00 worth of Hawken on on a scale of 0 to $6K  ::)
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 06:15:40 AM »
Thanks Paddlefoot and Bob.

The idea, for me at least, with that rear sight, is to file down the front sight so that I can use the tiny notch in the bottom of the opening for 25 - 50 yds., and then hopefully, centre the front sight in the hole for 100 yds.  As the distance increases past 100 yds, the front sight moves up the opening.  When the weather gets to the point that I don't need snowshoes to post a target past 50 yds., I'll report on the effectiveness of this sight system.

It is easy to get bad furniture for a Hawken project.  Many of the butt plates especially, are terrible.  Mine started out as the Bridger plate offered by TOW as it had almost perfect profile matching the image of the original.  It is quite thick, and I did a lot of filing until I was happy.  The same with the guard.  Perhaps those that are available match some original, but not the one I was emulating.  So I heated it red, and with a cross peen hammer, lengthened the bow.  Thankfully, the casting had lots of "meat", so it wasn't difficult to get a guard whose profile matched the original's.

The hammer was a problem.  Apart from sawing and filing one out of bar stock, there is nothing available that matched.  When I scaled up the image to full size, I found that the hammer had a 1 7/8" throw.   I bought a 1 7/8" hammer from Dixie that appeared in their tiny ancient illustration to be ok, but when it arrived, it was not.  ...nearly $50 in the inventory drawer.  The lock is a Roller, and the hammer that came with it might have worked on a 15/16" barrel, but certainly not on the 1 1/8" breech I was using.  The hammer that Davis uses on their Hawken lock has exactly the same orientation in the tumbler square, and has a 1 3/4" throw, so with lots of filing, I got to to resemble the one in the image of the original.  Still, I had to move the lock further forward so the hammer would align with the nipple, so I changed the geometry in the wrist/lock area slightly.  

The sear bar in the Roller lock rests right level with the centre of the plate, not down at the bottom edge, as it does in other locks.  Consequently, the triggers on the Ron Long trigger set that Tom Curran so generously gave me in '09, were not suitable.  I didn'[t like the look of the rear trigger anyway, so I filed one out of a piece of annealed file that was a little over 5/16" thick.  The result was a much better trigger that connected with the sear bar properly.  I added steel to the top edge of the front trigger to achieve the same, and it worked out well.

So, if you have a particular or special rifle to make, don't be satisfied with mediocrity.  Buy the best you can find, and change them to satisfy your need.  Incidentally, Don Stith has some great authentic parts.
D. Taylor Sapergia

C. Cash

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 06:20:16 AM »
She's a beaut!  :P :P :P  Thanks for sharing that with us.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 06:20:57 AM by C. Cash »

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 06:21:22 AM »
Thanks Skychief and Roger.  One thing that was remarkable about this build, is the fact that there is no engraving or carving, apart from the panneled cheek piece.  Consequently, the build went fairly quickly, and the finishing, even faster, compared to most of the last bunch of guns I've put together.  Even so, there is something beautiful about the lines and bulk of a big plains rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 06:29:02 AM »
Taylor,
I love your work. I to have had my rounds with making Hawken rifles but only six to date. This one you have here is a beauty. They have a grace that attracts the eye when done right.  Who's breach did you use on that barrel?
Dave Blaisdell

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 06:44:57 AM »
Thanks Dave.  I don't know whose breech it is, but it was the only right hand 1 1/8" Hawken breech I could find at Dixon's, so I bought it so that LC could install it on my new barrel.  I've done some filing around the snail and tang, and polished the nipple seat and fence.  The breech extends farther out past the snail that any of the originals I've seen, which lengthens the rifle by about 1/4", but it's made properly, and breeched perfectly.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 12:38:12 AM by rich pierce »
D. Taylor Sapergia

gregg

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 07:22:13 AM »
Just a wonderful rifle.

Offline bjmac

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 07:50:54 AM »
Taylor, this is one beautiful rifle! My first (and to date, only) rifle is a Hawkins. I do have a question for you...how are the barrel wedge plates fastened? The photos look like staples of some sort.
Thanks for your photos and description as I always look forward to your posts.

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 08:41:25 AM »
bjmac...the escutcheon plates are cut from .040" thick sheet steel.  They are pierced for the slides, and drilled and countersunk for two wood screws, which I have slotted slightly deeper than factory, and then filed off flush with the wood.  Prick punch carefully for the predrill holes, wax the screw threads and run them in.  They look best with slots aligned with the axis of the rifle.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 12:38:37 AM by rich pierce »
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 09:33:50 AM »
Great Taylor. In my book, this is what a ten out of ten Hawken looks like.

Offline runastav

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 01:25:52 PM »
Beautiful rifle Sapergia :)
Runar

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 04:12:41 PM »
Beautiful work, thanks for the pics.

JB2

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 04:14:42 PM »
Thats a real beaut!  Thanks for the inspiration.  I'm just getting into my 'parts set' from many sources too, so your pics are helping a lot!  Mine won't be quite as 'beefy' as yours, I hope! 

If you don't mind me asking, what finish did you take the barrel to, before rust blueing?  Is it just draw-filed?  I like the low luster of it, seems to be a little less reflective.

I'm also figuring out the best way to get the buttplate profile I want, and something that 'looks right'.     Like everyone else, I wouldn't mind seeing any and all detail pics you want to post (hint, hint).

Thanks again!
Jim

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 04:45:44 PM »
You mentioned Don Stith showing you the sight design at Dixons. Is it his design or something he found on an original Hawkin?  I notice your rear sight is farther forward than the one in the picture of the gun you were recreating, is that for your eyes or did the old rifles have that much variation in them? 
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline Glenn

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 05:35:01 PM »
WOW ... Beautiful work !!!

I'm sure Sam Hawken would present you with a blue ribbon for excellence while fearing you as honest compettition.   ;D

Compliments also in order regarding your skills as a photographer.  Very nice background, lighting, and close-ups.
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 06:39:34 PM »
Nice Taylor.
I have not built a Hawken in 20 years or so. But I have a friend you wants one so I suppose I will be doing one again.

For those who might be wondering about the indexed screws. Taylors treatment is correct.
This is the Jim Bridger rifle in Helena.

The original Hawken rifles were always nicely done. Be they plain or fancy. At least the Mountain Rifles.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 07:12:07 PM »
Taylor, Beautiful rifle and as always I admire the extra effort you put forth to achieve the level of detail all your builds have.

Offline Ray Nelson

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 07:15:12 PM »
Taylor,

I really love Hawken Rifles and this is truly an outstanding example!!! I have much to improve with my efforts and this is added inspiration.

Thanks for posting.

Ray

• Member 3
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 07:15:45 PM »
The rear sight I made is taken from a series of photographs of the original sight on Don's rifle.  I dovetailed it on the forward end of the hand position of the balance point.  I considered the rear position, behind my hand, but the sight picture was cleaner forward.  I have never seen images of an original with the rear sight that far forward...they are all behind the hand, and I'll submit, for much younger eyes.

The backdrop, which I've used many times before, is mountain goat pelt, and it seems to have a light absorbing property that lends itself to this purpose.

This rifle has the exact profile of the original, and it's chunkiness is attributed easily to the dimensions of the barrel, rib, and ramrod.  When these dimensions are less, the overall thickness through the forend and the wrist will be less.

I appreciate all of your interest and favourable comments.  Regarding photos, if there is a detail you'd like to see, I'm happy to provide an image from this work.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 08:02:47 PM »
Very Nice great work :)
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

JB2

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2011, 08:25:25 PM »
Taylor, when I said 'beefy' I was referring to weight, not proportion or any sort of clunkiness.  I guess my eye doesn't see any clunkiness in your latest rendition, and I'd be durn pleased if mine looked remotely like yours.

My main intersest right now would be details of your tang/breech area, top view and both sides.  My tang looks almost identical to yours, and I've been mulling over how best to treat that area.  Looks like you've done a great job, as always.  Thanks

JimB