Author Topic: S. Hawken..inspiration and tribute  (Read 49824 times)

Leatherbelly

Re: S. Hawken..inspiration and tribute
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 08:53:29 PM »
Jeez Taylor!
  It turned  'browner" since I seen her last! Nicely done,as usual! Very purposeful rifle. To me, it's "funny' to see you build a capper. You want to tell 'um why you built a rifle like this? hehehe!

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2011, 09:09:55 PM »
 Regarding photos, if there is a detail you'd like to see, I'm happy to provide an image from this work.

Another gorgeous and inspiring work, Taylor.

Since you are offering, I would like to see a front angled view of the rear sight, and some details of the front sight please.  Also I would like to know the approximate diameter of the "circle" in the rear sight.

Thanks!
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Herb

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 09:12:53 PM »
Here you go, Taylor.
Jim Gordon's museum at Glorieta, NM.  Check that middle blonde Hawken below the horn, with the rear sight far forward.  There are  many variations of Hawkens.  This is only about half of the originals in Jim Gordon's museum.  I am more interested in your front sight.  It is very close to the end of the barrel, and I haven't seen an original like that unless the barrel was cut off, and I believe I have seen that.  I have a Green River Rifle Works .54 barrel that a (modern) gunsmith friend traded to me, with the 3/8" front sight slot milled starting 1/2" behind the muzzle.  This is a 36" barrel, and I can't handle that sight location so am about to hacksaw this barrel to 32" and fit the sight 1 1/2" (or thereabouts) behind the muzzle.  Why is your sight so close to the muzzle?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 09:55:17 AM by Herb »
Herb

California Kid

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
Taylor, lovely and inspiring Hawken, inspiring enough to build another one. The last one had a Bill Large barrel so you know how long ago that was! My current build is a C. Hawken, go figure, HA HA!
 I'm very interested in that rear sight though. Very interesting concept for aging eyes. Let us know how it works out. I wonder how the NMLRA would view that sight for primitive matches.

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 10:54:53 PM »
I know how an elk or moose would view that sight!  Thanks Taylor, you can just post pictures of that beauty from every angle and we'll keep looking. Very nicely done.  Oh, The roller lock, is that a type of lock or a maker? Have not heard of that before.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Daryl

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 02:45:34 AM »
That's some sight, isn't it. Makes a dandy peep sight. 

The rifle's OK for a Hawken gun. - HA! Sure hold s nicely - interesting finish, that beeswax.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 03:19:13 AM »
These first two images are of the original sight, and those that follow are of mine.

The hole was drilled with a 3/16" bit, and the cavity with a 3/8" ball end mill.

These last three are of the front sight.  When I saw Louis Parker's Hawken rifle, I thought that that base shape was pretty cool, so I made one similar.  The front sight is there by mistake.  I scribed a line for the forward extremity of the sight, and left it.  When I came back, I used it for the leading edge of the dovetail....oops.  Give's me maximum sight radius though!

The barrel was draw filed and polished to 180 grit prior to rust bluing.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 12:39:39 AM by rich pierce »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Mattole

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 05:01:59 AM »
Taylor, wonderful rifle you made there. I am curious about what advantages there are in the design of this rear sight over the traditional Hawken buckhorn sight, in terms of sight picture and precision shooting potential.

• Member 3
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 05:08:55 AM »
Thanks Mattole...I'm curious too.  The sight was so neat and authentic, that I had to do one.  If I don't like it, or can't make it work, I'll make another type.  But I made the rifle to be competitive with Daryl...he's tough to beat at long range, or any range for that matter, and this rifle may give me a leg up.  But the idea is to have a sight that is positive to get a clean sight picture at long range.  The jury is still out though...
D. Taylor Sapergia

Online Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 07:33:56 AM »
I may have to make one too.
 ;D
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 07:39:58 AM »
Thanks for the additional pics, Taylor.  I have them archived for future reference now.  I like many other am interested in a field report when you give the sights and your new  beauty a workout.
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 04:25:34 PM »
A real treasure Taylor! You've hit the nail dead center! I too can't wait to hear about your shooting match with your brother. Now I have to go back to my Hawken rifle and re-do a few little things....... :-[
Joel Hall

Offline Herb

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 08:37:53 PM »
Here are two sights by Gemmer, similar to Hawken rifles, in Jim Gordon's museum.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 09:55:50 AM by Herb »
Herb

Daryl

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 08:54:21 PM »
Taylor and I both made and used sights similar to the bottom Gemmer sight - which is probably similar or almost identical to many Hawken sights as well as sights on other period rifles. Full buckhorns were popular.
When we used them, we were shooting mostly at the Squamish BC range back then - and mostly 50 to 100 yards, but shot considerbly on on the 'chief' at 325 yards range.  I found the 'joint' of the two horns gave me a perfect zero for 325 yards, making hitting at that range much easier.

Holding 'windage' whether for height or actual wind, is a pain. It's much easier when you have a sight that allows dead-on holding. That is a major reason why my .69 does well at long range - express sight blades sighted for those ranges.  There are several sights with flip-up blades in Track's catologe, btw.

• Member 3
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2011, 12:24:49 AM »
Thanks for the great shots of those original rifles Herb.  It seems that it might be difficult to invent something new, and that using sights like this were nothing new either.

There was a question regarding the breech and tang.  There is a considerable amount of work that has to go into both before you can think of inletting them into the stock blank.  First, the breech must be fit to the barrel.  Then the tang must be fit to the breech so that there is no gap or movement.  I solder mine together at this stage.  The tang never has the correct curve and must be bent cold to bring it to the shape of your blueprint.  Do this bending before drilling it for the tang bolts, which should happen much latter, after all is inlet.  It may also require bending left or right so that it centres on the wrist.   Finally, the snail has some issues.  The seat for the nipple may need to be milled, as was the case in this breech, so that it would bottom correctly.  Then the inside surfaces of the snail had to be filed and polished for a clean look, and also to make cleaning fouling away easier.  I've seen so may of these that were caked with fouling, and when I find it there, I also see it under the neck of the hammer, and in the cup.  Not acceptable.
Here's a few pics of mine...

« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 12:40:17 AM by rich pierce »
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2011, 12:27:47 AM »
A couple lads got close to my question; but not quite.  We assume the rifle has not yet been sighted in; but can't keep wondering abt that rear notch being so low and the frt sight so high.  Don't shoot yourself in the boot.. ;D  Do you expect and plan on a lot of frt sight filing. Do you have to squeeze the tar out of your stock side cheek to look through those sights ???  Be interesting to hear how the sighting in process goes.  I always like to sight in a new gal.  At least when they do as asked. ;D

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2011, 12:39:38 AM »
 A beauty, very sharp and clean. Outstanding work.

Tim C.

Offline bgf

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2011, 01:34:49 AM »
Taylor,
I want to jump on the bandwagon with this one.  The way you carried it off without getting carried away is impressive.  There's no place to hide with something like this, and it doesn't seem like you need to hide anything.  I'm as eager as everyone else to see how that sight works out in practice -- my eyes aren't getting any younger.  I think NMLRA rule is 1/4" opening at top of sight to be considered open sights -- it looks like you're close to that.

JB2

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2011, 01:48:51 AM »
Taylor, I think I was the one asking about tang/wrist pics.  Your pics show it perfectly.  Thanks again!

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2011, 02:19:23 AM »
    Taylor, congratulation on a job well done, very fine gun.    You know I love a Pa. Longrifle and they will always be my favorite with all it's carvings, engravings, brass an silver inlays, patchbox, etc. But what is it about a Hawken? their connection in time with the plains, Rocky Mtn., the Mtn. Men or just their simplicity, IMO they are great looking guns. I'm going to build a Hawken for my son when he graduates collage this spring. I have a 50cal. GRRW barrel I have never used. Thanks for the pic's Taylor.    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Daryl

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2011, 02:25:09 AM »
What amazes me about the wax/only finish - it doesn't feel like anything other than a fine oil finish.  We'll have to see what happens with some wear, rain, etc.  It will be easy to reapply -but????

• Member 3
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2011, 06:02:43 AM »
Roger, with this tapered barrel, and the notch in the rear sight only about 1/8" off the barrel, I did not know how much front sight I would need, so I left it very, very high.  Also, I don't know if I will want to use the centre of the aperture for the point blank sight, or the notch.  I'll be able to assess that as I file her down and the group moves up the board.  I'd be happy with a front sight only 3/16" off the top flat...I like low sights.

Thanks again for your interest, y'all!
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2011, 06:12:27 AM »
Man, that's a beautiful Hawken, Taylor! Thanks for the pix.

• Member 3
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2011, 06:40:57 AM »
Dogcreek...it's been a pleasure!
D. Taylor Sapergia

California Kid

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2011, 09:24:02 PM »
Taylor, I saw on another thread that you used ferric nitrate crystals and water for stain. What proportions did you use? I'm experimenting with this for my C. Hawken build.