Author Topic: Black powder prices today  (Read 19860 times)

billd

Re: Black powder prices today
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 03:35:15 AM »
Moosic is in my backyard.  I bought bulk black powder from Bonnie at http://www.jjpyrotechnics.com/GOEX.html  about a year ago.   I don't remember what I paid but I know it was considerably more than $7.50 a pound.   I'm thinking maybe the ten to eleven dollar range.   I guess Roundball is better looking than me and charmed a few bucks off the price. 

If your familiar with the area she is near Springbrook reservoir, maybe 5 or 6 miles east of Moosic.

Bill

roundball

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 04:13:52 AM »
Good gracious...a year ago I had Bonnie send me a case of 2F cans, and delivered to my front porch they only cost $11.40 / can.

Maybe my memory is fading about the loose stuff and I'll go see what I can dig up.....but there's no memory problem with the case of cans a year ago...$11.40 sitting on my front porch.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:15:47 AM by ' roundball ' »

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 04:28:36 AM »
You know what I'm finding out is that you can get prices all over the place. You can get different
prices from the same company on the same day?  It all depends on who you talk to. My Swiss
cost me 20.00 a lb. delivered Monday. Some friends of mine picked up some from the same
place and it cost them 25.00 a lb??   I called Coonies in New Mexico last week and got a price
now get this,   43.00 a lb. delivered. 30.00 a lb. if I picked it up. Somebody call them and see
what they tell you. It seems to be all different on any given day.
The Pistol Shooter

roundball

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 04:44:21 AM »

I bought bulk black powder from Bonnie at http://www.jjpyrotechnics.com/GOEX.html  about a year ago.   I don't remember what I paid but I know it was considerably more than $7.50 a pound.   I'm thinking maybe the ten to eleven dollar range.  Bill
Bill, good catch...I found my invoice...$9.50/pound, not $7.50
 :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 05:10:48 AM by ' roundball ' »

Daryl

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 05:09:04 AM »
We do not order it from distributors - we buy it at rendezvous. As I understand the shipping here, it can only be shipped by itself. Nothing else in the truck and the truck marked on all sides with "Class "A" Explosives" signs. Of coruse, this makes it rather expensive to ship. There is only one shipper here who is licenced to carry it and in BC - they refuse. That's the world we live in at this time.

Regardless of what might happen to a bag of powder inside a hev cardboard box- that is how many of us get powder. It is usually $1.00 per pound, ie: $25.00 per 25 pound box cheaper to get bulk and use our own cans.  We can get it either way - by the GOEX bag or in cans. So- GOEX shops it in bags.  Whether a distributor does or not, that's his/her choice.  In BC - the SHIPPER refuses - apparently - that's the info fed to me.

Al Lapp

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 08:07:40 AM »
Luckily for us the distributor is on the Island. We just bought 25 lbs. bulk for $462.00. That includes our HST of 12 %. There is one store here that wants $37.00 a lb.   Al

roundball

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 05:10:02 PM »
At least $18/lb is somewhat in the realm of reality...curious how you use it...refill empty cans or something?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 05:28:50 PM »
Dennis,

Moscow is near Scranton...on the opposite side of the state from Pittsburgh.  Worth the trip up from Dixons..only a little over an hour north of Dixons.

Thanks that takes care of that! I guess I will go ahead and make the trip to Winchester VA and buy mine there. I always wanted to attend those cannon matches that are held there every May.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Daryl

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 06:02:28 PM »
Yes - RB - we fill empty cans from the big bag.  I use a 3 pound coffee can, bent to a pour spout.  1 pound can on the scale with funnel- scale set to 0, and fill until it reads a pound.  Cap it and on goes another.  The GOEX of the last few years is quite nice - very little dust.   It doesn't take long to fill 25 cans.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, 06:22:09 PM »
Yes - RB - we fill empty cans from the big bag.  I use a 3 pound coffee can, bent to a pour spout.  1 pound can on the scale with funnel- scale set to 0, and fill until it reads a pound.  Cap it and on goes another.  The GOEX of the last few years is quite nice - very little dust.   It doesn't take long to fill 25 cans.

Dusty powder was once a real problem for Goex.
The bacteria count in the water went way down, or at least the bugs are different, when they moved south.
The dust was the result of bacteria eating the sulfur.

Back in the day Dupont used boilers to heat the place, dry the powder with steam heat etc and so had distilled water for the powder.
But this changed before GOI took over as the boilers were shut down  so they started using ground water.
This and other factors have resulted in Goex making much better powder than as some times in the past.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine