Author Topic: William Henry Harrison, Grouseland - Vincennes, IN  (Read 7575 times)

beast44k

William Henry Harrison, Grouseland - Vincennes, IN
« on: March 01, 2011, 05:27:07 AM »
I had the opportunity to tour his house in Vincennes a while ago and remember seeing a flintlock on display there.
Has anyone else been there and remember the gunmaker?
I assume it's John Small, but that's only an educated guess.

Offline j. pease

Re: William Henry Harrison, Grouseland - Vincennes, IN
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 05:42:58 AM »
It is a John Small. The rifle is pictured in Jim Dresslar and Jeff Jaeger's book John Small of Vincennes. Jim donated several John Small guns to the Indiana State Museum in Indianapolis.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 09:24:14 AM »
The rifle in the Grouseland museum is a rifle made by John Small, and a darn nice one. It is one of only three rifles known by his hand. There may be a pair of pistols or two, possibly some long knives, and a tomahawk by Small. He was a celebrated frontier character in the late 1700s and into the next century. He made weapons, served as sheriff and fought Indians. Jim Dressler owned the rifle that Small made for Francis Vigo, one of the founders of Indiana, at least financially. He had been an Indian trader and merchant on the frontier in the 1700s. His rifle had been used quite hard and there isn't a whole lot left of it, (converted, cut down, etc.). Jim had Jack Brooks build a bench copy of the gun as it would have been when new and then Jim donated the original to the state. Interesting, that gun was found in a yard sale in Michigan by a collector, who sold it to Dressler somewhat later. Small, born in Ireland, seems to have trained in the south, probably NC and moved north into Vincennes. A very fine Small rifle appeared at the Chadds' Ford Kentucky Rifle conference in the 1960s which incidentally led to the formation of the Kentucky Rifle Association. That gun has decided NC characteristics and is shown in Merrill Lindsay's color book which spun out of the conference. The gun has been absent since that time. Someone has it somewhere. While the universe of his work is quite small, it appears that he varied his rifles to a considerable degree when comparing what does exist.
Dick

beast44k

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 06:46:02 PM »
Thanks for the info, my wife and I went to college there and had only visited the George Rogers Clark Monument and museum...that was 20 years ago.
We've been back several times in past 10 years and seen a lot of the historical sites that we never took the time for as students.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 07:38:54 PM »
I think the missing rifle Dick is referring to to might be the one also shown in "Kentucky Rifles and Pistols 1750-1850" and is a really sleek, fine looking rifle with crisp, southern looking architecture,  signed "JNO Small" if I am not mistaken.

Here is a link to the third Small rifle that was formerly in Jim Dresslar's collection and now in the Indiana State Museum.  There are much better photos of it shown in the book referred to in one of the previous posts - the book is available from RE Davis.  The rifle is believed to have been made for James Girty - brother of Simon - probably around the 1790s give or take a few years.  The website shows several other Small related items in the collection, including a great silver mounted buffalo powderhorn.

http://museumcollections.in.gov/detail.php?t=objects&type=browse&f=place_made&s=Indiana%2C+Knox+County&record=7

As far as Grouseland goes, I took the tour once and thought the house is fascinating.  At the time they also had a warclub that was picked up on the Tippecanoe battlefield after the battle.  Vincennes is a really wonderful old town - the early colonial history of the region is an all-too-often overlooked part of American history.  We tend to think of settlement as moving east to west across the Ohio Valley but these early French, Spanish and English posts were bases of operations for market hunters and centers of trade long before people were moving west through Cumberland gap in large numbers.

Guy
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:30:52 PM by G-Man »

beast44k

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 08:04:10 PM »
There is a decent little museum at the Tippecanoe Battlefield, as well.
Growing up, the nearest city to us was Lafayette, about 45 minutes. We was there several times a month, and it wasn't until I was in my 30's did I ever take the time stop there.
I was more into Civil War stuff, and had no idea it was there.
We stop there a few times a year, usually on our way to visit grandma, or just for a "nerd" trip...it's a great place for the kids to run around and play.

beast44k

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 06:54:58 AM »
How about that, the James Julie auction is going to have a John Small rifle on the block....what are the odds.

http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/catalog_detail_shots.asp?Details=41831&sale=303&lot=2500

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 03:06:21 PM »
Yep - that is the one that was shown in "Kentucky Rifles and Pistols 1750-1850" -

Dick - I was assuming this is the "missing" Small you referred to - is this the one?

Fantastic architecture.  All three of the Small rifles have a very different feel.  The box on this one almost has has sort the feel of an early variation of what would evolve into the "National Road" box you see on a lot of early Ohio rifles.

Guy

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 03:35:46 PM »
Am I right in thinking the patchbox opens by pressing on the center part of the finial?
Best regards,
Dale

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 06:52:54 PM »
That is what it looks like to me, but hard to tell.

Beast44K - I hope you don't mind but I am going to post new topic with a link to the Julia site - that rifle is phenomenal and I think some folks who might love to see it might miss it since this thread was about Grouseland. That's a really important early midwestern rifle that has just surfaced after many years, as well as being a stunning piece in any context.

Guy

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 08:08:10 PM »
Guess I'll have to come clean and admit that this is the rifle and I have known for some time that it was coming up for auction. It was shown at the Las Vegas Winter Show and the gun has my finger prints all over it. Not likely that it is one that I will afford, but it is spectacular.
I understand that Grouseland is aware of the rifle and will make a serious effort to place it where it really belongs, there in the Harrison House.
The 'Girty' rifle was unknown to me so that adds another Small to the list. The 'Vigo' gun may not be on display. I haven't spoken to Jim Dressler for a long while but he would know the status of the piece. Thanks to all of you for your comments and information.
Best-Dick

beast44k

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 02:54:34 AM »
I don't mind at all, post away.

Offline j. pease

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 05:29:27 PM »
I was at the Inadiana State Museum yesterday and there is a small gallery,  Carolyn and Jim Dresslar gallery that has the Girty rifle as well as the Vigo rifle. Also has a Small pistol and 2 pipe tomahawks and a Buffalo powder horn. The dislay has several other important artifacts related to Early Indiana history.