Author Topic: 40 inch swamped barrel?  (Read 5384 times)

Torfinn

40 inch swamped barrel?
« on: October 16, 2008, 01:53:36 PM »
Well it has been a long time.  I see there is a new board.  (that's why it said my user name did not exist, hahaha).  Well a lot has happened in the last 2-3 years.  got divorced, lost house and moved.  Methuselah will now never be finished because some of the parts were lost in move.  Crushed the nerves in both hands.  Then I guess that was not enough so crushed to index finger on the left hand for good measure.   ::)  After much time healing I am now able to straighten most of my fingers again.  So I un-crated my old Lancaster and was once again bitten with the bug to build a rifle again.  I have some parts and will make the first with a straight barrel just to get my fingers wet, so to speak.  Once I have the shop set up. 

But not being 6 ft. tall I find that a 42 inch barrel with a 14" pull is a tiny bit awkward for me.  I did not know that when I bought the Lancaster.  Shortening the pull to 13 & 1/4" is simple enough as is cutting and recrowning a straight octagon barrel.  I do not want to go to a 38" barrell as I do not find that aesthetically pleasing.  personal preference I guess. 

So my question is; does anybody make 40" swamped barrels? 

Thanks in advance. 

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
Re: 40 inch swamped barrel?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 02:02:43 PM »
You have a priveate message.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 02:05:18 PM »
most barrel makers have a standard lenght,,38 42 or 44..some longer..i shoot a .40 swamped 44 inch Rice barrel and simply love it..
i guess if you really wanted a 40 inch,,,your could shorten it a couple of inches,,maybe best to do it from the breach end..
only flintlocks remain interesting..

George F.

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 02:44:35 PM »
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes, as they say "_ _ _ _ happens. "  Good that your back to using your hands though. Rice makes a Reading barrel at about 40" ...Geo.

Torfinn

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 03:48:05 PM »
Misfortunes, misfortunes, everybody has them at one time or another to a greater or lesser extent.  Probly should not have posted that way but mostly posted as reason (or excuse, hehehee) why I haven't posted in so long.  Actually get along with the ex better than when married,  Go figure.   :)   Have learned a lot from these experiences.  However I do not recommend crushing the nerves in your hands as a learning experience.   It has been 2 years and I think the hands have healed as much as they are going to,  By and large I think I have full use since I do not have to straighten my fingers to hold tools.  Just be careful what you do folks.  Don't take chances with your hands.  I got lucky.  You might not be.

Thanks for the tip on the Rice Barrels,  I will take a look at his website. 

Mike R

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 04:07:48 PM »
I can understand the 14"pull being too long, but I am not sure that barrel lengths of 42 or even 44 is too much--I am short by any measure [5'4"] and own and use several rifles with 42-44" barrels.  The only handicap I have is seeing the top of the 44" barrels to load! [I tilt them].  However, each to his own and if you just want a shorter barrel that is fine ['short' is no excuse  :D]

Torfinn

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 05:24:19 PM »
It is a matter of preference.  Based on experience.   And I would not have given it much thought had I not also handled and used broadswords,  With a broadsword that is too long for you,  you can throw out your arm on a regular basis.  But get one that is the right length and you can swing it all day long and hit hard and accuratly with it,  Now I know that you generally do not swing rifles around much ( unless you are out of ammunition at the Alamo ;D ), so the perfect balance of a rifle is not critical.  But it sure is nice to have a rifle that balances well and feels right in your hands.  That rifle is going to be different for everyone.   ;D

Mike R

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 05:41:24 PM »
It is a matter of preference.  Based on experience.   And I would not have given it much thought had I not also handled and used broadswords,  With a broadsword that is too long for you,  you can throw out your arm on a regular basis.  But get one that is the right length and you can swing it all day long and hit hard and accuratly with it,  Now I know that you generally do not swing rifles around much ( unless you are out of ammunition at the Alamo ;D ), so the perfect balance of a rifle is not critical.  But it sure is nice to have a rifle that balances well and feels right in your hands.  That rifle is going to be different for everyone.   ;D

I agree with the balance and 'feels right' comments.  Good balance can be acheived with just about any reasonable barrel length. I have a 42" barreled rifle that is much more muzzle heavy than either of my 44" ones.  I once had a heavy barreled Hawken that was more awkward with its 36" barrel than any of my longrifles.  Barrel length/wgt is just one part of the puzzle. I am not against short guns--my .32 squirrel rifle is only 36" in barrel and I own a 36" Hawken [lighter than my old clunker].  I have handled some 38" bbl "longrifles" that felt good, too.  Don't see why you couldn't make a fine rifle with a 40" barrel--its only 2 " off "standard" length.

Offline sz

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 05:52:21 PM »
I had a customer request a 40" swamped .40 cal from me a while ago, so I took a 42" barrel and cut 1" off each end.  Re-crown the muzzle and re-thread the breach and your good to go.
:)

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 06:03:36 PM »
I don't know what "make" of barrel you prefer, but I would think most of the better known barrel manufacturers would supply you with a custom length if you wanted.  Be pretty easy for them to cut something off either end (or both ends) before they finished the muzzle and put the plug in.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"