Author Topic: price check question  (Read 5776 times)

Offline plastikosmd

price check question
« on: March 04, 2011, 03:32:55 AM »
45 cal percussion made by H. Somers, Barnet Vt (unsure if made the father or son) age 1830-1880 as best I can tell, nice wood, one small split on forearm with nice brass pin repair (can barely tell). Nice bore, has false muzzle. Weight, maybe 25lbs or so, heavy. Metalwork is all silver color, not sure if that means it is silver.

price 1800 smackers

seems high to me? but is a beauty. I havent been able to find much, what say you?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 03:33:33 AM by Plastikosmd »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: price check question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 04:04:28 AM »
Some photos would be nice. Your inquiry is akin to the old question, 'How long is a piece of string?" From the few facts you have given, however, if you can buy the gun at that price, it sounds like a good value. The big target guns bring some prices comparable to their heft, and for example, I have a similar piece that I wouldn't sell for twice the amount you have cited.
At least give us barrel length, stock wood, extras such as inlays, etc., and equipment still with the gun. Barring photos, that will help.
Best-Dick

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 04:07:33 AM »
will grab some pics

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 08:55:20 PM »
ok so the pics, hope this will help u in some way
caliber about a 45, barrel about 33 inches, good bore 1800$ what say u

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 08:56:38 PM »
false muzzle as noted at top of pic

slight repair on forearm, note small brass pin, well done

Dmitry

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 08:59:26 PM »
I am by no means an expert, but it appears to me that the barrel was re-blued.

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 09:19:54 PM »
i asked same thing, was told no per current owner (owned for last 40 yrs or so) not sure. Maybe one of the multiple prior owners before?  Silver or pewter? Clearly there was a repair, wood is probably been freshened also 40 years ago. Will leave it up to u. My question is value.  Is this a 500$ rifle, 1000$ or 1800$ rifle. Not a lot of info out there.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:23:37 PM by Plastikosmd »

Online Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 09:47:18 PM »
By no means an expert as well.  My suggestion is that you check on
Rock Island Auction's website and see what similar rifles are going for.
This is a late era, backlock, percussion target rifle with little or
no ornamentation or engraving.  My opinion is that it was blued. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
The price seems high to me.  A lot of different things play into the pricing of stuff like this, if it were made by some ancestor of yours, and you really wanted it badly, you would pay what was needed to get it.  I would put it more like the $500.00 to $800.00 range tops, but then again I'm not crazy about half stocks.  I guess it's worth what somebody is will to pay for it.

FK

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 10:29:13 PM »
no relative here!  Appreciate it.  It is a nice looking piece but figured it was priced a bit high

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 12:01:40 AM »
In my opinon it is worth something less than the 'ask' on it. Make an offer starting at 1K, or what you are willing to pay and see where it goes. You can always increase your offer until you get it.
Dick

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 02:16:16 AM »
thx, I would pay 800, guy is short a lot of money and any lowball will just be met with a no.  I will just watch it sit, I got enough guns for now.  I would prefer something a bit more unique..we will see

beast44k

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 05:03:15 AM »
Yeah, the price is way too high, the value is going to be less than the 1k mark.
Now if it was something or an era you are really into, you may be willing to go $1800, but as an investment piece, I'd say, keep looking.