Author Topic: Rowe, Nathaniel 110220-3  (Read 10673 times)

Offline nord

Rowe, Nathaniel 110220-3
« on: March 04, 2011, 06:06:08 PM »
Emmitsburg MD rifle, signed in script Nathaniel Rowe.
Rowe was John Armstrong's last apprentice and arguably the last master or "Golden Age" gunsmith of Emmitsburg; maybe all of Maryland.
According to research done by Ed Flanagan and others Rowe was born in the Emmitsburg area in 1821. He moved to town and started his apprenticeship with Armstrong in 1836. It is likely that he finished his apprenticeship around 1842 when he became 21 and later took over the Armstrong shop. Earliest signed Rowe rifles would probably date from about this time.
Signed Rowe rifles are not particularly rare, but relief carved ones are. Kindig illustrated two. This is the only other one I know of. Notice also that the lock plate is signed in script NR indicating that Nathaniel Rowe made the lock, a very rare detail.
The rifle has full octagon barrel; about 50 cal; barrel length is 41&5/8"
breech 1&1/8"; muzzle 15/16"" barrel slightly tapered and flared. Over all length 57": lop 13&1/8"; drop at front of comb 1&1/4"; drop at heel 3&1/4";heel to toe 4&1/2"; width of butt 1&5/8".

Comments:

This is a wonderful, early, Nathaniel Rowe that was made very close to the time of his apprenticeship to John Armstrong.  I believe this is the same rifle I had the pleasure to handle at the KRA last year.  If it's the same gun, it's in untouched, attic condition, with no repairs.  It also appears that it was originally made as a percussion rifle.
================================================================

I also believe this rifle was at the KRA last year ,,A great rifle .  Could have been made while he was with Armstrong . I think this rifle is as close to Armstrongs work that I have seen . John was probably proud of Nathanial Rowe .
Surely the finest Rowe gun known and the best one he ever made, no doubt.
A fine rifle, and a great addition to the library!
And I agree that this is a great example of how well the Masters hand could be transferred to the talented Apprentice.
Also, the percussion hammer on this one is almost identical to one of Armstrongs as well.
Outstanding in every respect!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 04:52:20 PM by Tim Crosby »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.