Author Topic: Bedford Co maker?  (Read 6678 times)

Mike R

Bedford Co maker?
« on: February 11, 2009, 07:53:08 PM »
A friend has an engraved  Bedford Co flintlock lock with the name W.G. Sutter, Ruffsdale, Pa. on it.  He says it has a nice patina, but does not know if it is original or a modern lock.  It was apparently never mounted on a rifle [no lock bolt holes].  Do any of you know that name?

Mike R

Re: Bedford Co maker?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 08:13:37 PM »
well, I think he may be a 20th cent maker--anybody know anything about him? 

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 09:35:07 PM »
He's listed in The Gunmakers and Gunsmiths of Western Pa. by J and V Whisker.

Worthe G.Suter
Born Ruffsdale October 6,1896
Worked with grandfather C.M. Knupp of Bakersville,Somerset Co.

Mike R

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 10:10:24 PM »
Thanks!

scooter

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 03:53:32 AM »
One of my fond childhood memories was visiting Sutter's gunshop. He made a lot of Bedford style locks. We went out in R A Farber's car as Cal Hetrick wanted a lock for a gun he had. Once you got close you could smell it! Sutter used urine to brown his barrels. When at his shop you were supposed to add to the volume; that included his daughter who added her share, altho I never actually saw it. Sutter was a talented workman who used a minimum of modern tools altho power tools were certainly available. He had great talent in tempering springs.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 05:19:10 AM »
Neat story Jim Thanks!!!

Mitch

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 02:48:54 PM »
    I think if you do a search you will find some information on this site about a Sutter lock that was marked Ruffsdale.  I think it was sold on the for sale section.  This one was original and was never drilled.  It was engraved in a more less typical Bedford Co. fashion w/ a lot of crosshatching as well. 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

jwh1947

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 01:11:33 AM »
One day in the 1960's my dad looked at an unsigned Bedford rifle and a rifle made in Lancaster.  He remarked, "Dag gone, this Bedford lock is hand made, the Lancaster lock is from Birmingham."  Long after his death I leaned to appreciate his insight.  Wayne

razzgirl027

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 10:02:32 AM »
I can answer any questions you may have on the W G Sutter lock... It is a modern lock made between 1940 and 1979 when Worth passed away.  There are also fakes out there so you have to watch.  If you have a picture I would be glad to tell you if it is authentic.  And as for the comment about the urine I will tell you that his surviving family takes serious offense to that comment and this is the not the first site I have seen it on so please stop spreading things that just aren't true.

fuzzy

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 02:46:04 AM »
worth was my great grandpap...  ill tell you anything i can

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 05:23:01 AM »
Razzgirl, first off you should know that the use of urine to brown, and patina metal was a quite common practice, and is still used in Amish, and Mennonite communities.  So there's no reason to be upset about a common practice.  Second, Scooter, is Dr. Jim Whisker, and if he visited your ancestor, it pretty much happened.  It's good you can distinguish between the original, and copies of the locks.  keep up the research on the Sutter clan.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline nord

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 03:17:31 PM »
Razzgirl,

Our ancestors were practical people. A job needed done and a certain product did the trick. Don't be offended. After all saltpeter for the production of black powder didn't grow on trees. It, too, was the product of human waste.

As to offending the proprieties of those living today, please understand that history is a rich texture of facts. Removing any detail because it seems embarrassing is to thin that fabric. What happened happened.

A dear friend (since passed) was a friend of Hacker Martin. He'd deliver maple syrup to Hacker when he visited and was often a guest for the night. The Martin home as I understand wasn't equipped with an indoor necessary. Thus a night call sometimes made for an uncomfortable trip. The solution as suggested by Hacker was to open a window and "water the flowers".

Maybe not socially acceptable in 2011, but perfectly normal and a part of history.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline geezmo

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 01:12:10 AM »
I still have a 1966 Dixie Guns Works catalog that had Sutter lock kits for sale. Flintlocks were $17.50 and percussion were $13.50.