Author Topic: Tomahawk question  (Read 8312 times)

Offline James

Tomahawk question
« on: March 05, 2011, 08:26:13 PM »
Hello, My boys and I would like to learn to throw. What hawks are best for this. Are the ones sold by TOW the kind to learn this with? Thank you, James
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Tomahawk question
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 11:31:34 PM »
Cast head hawks will stick as well as a hand forged one.  Go with a curved blade edge- always worked best for me.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 12:26:49 AM »
I've always liked the H & B Forge throwing hawks and the price is still good....
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline James

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 12:32:13 AM »
Do you throw so they flip or try to push them there without them flipping? The reason I ask is my knife throwing method has been to point it at the target and throw as a push, no flipping. I don't know which is correct. Thank you, James
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 12:41:57 AM »
I believe that the handle must make at least one full turn/ revolution in order to count for score.

jbignell

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 01:37:45 AM »
I would second the tomahawks made by H&B forge.  They are very well made hawks that throw beautifully.  They are also all hand-forged here in the states and made the old way with a mild steel wrapped around a hardened tool steel bit.  I own their Shawnee Hawk and their Small Camp Axe and I find that both of them perform very well.

I would shy away from the cheaper "made in India" imports.  They do not hold their edge very well (which perhaps isn't of great concern for throwing), but a well made hawk can be sharpened for any use, throwing or camp chores.  Also, the import hawks tend to have a very poor forge weld which where the mild steel meets the high carbon steel, and you can see this when you take the handle off.

the import hawk:

the H&B hawk:

This is certainly not to say that there are not other makers out there who aren't putting out great hawks, but this is a company with which I am familiar and impressed with.  I believe that they do make an excellent hawk for a beginner as well as a competition thrower.

In regards to throwing the hawk, for a single rotation throw I would recommend taking between 5-7 steps from your target (depending on arm length, height, as well as other variables).  It's important to then take the hawk straight up and come down with it and release without flicking your wrist.  As your hand is coming down you should take a single step toward your target with the foot opposite of your throwing hand.  While sticking the hawk while flicking your wrist and not stepping are both possible, I have found that doing it builds good form, especially when learning. 

Offline James

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 02:43:50 AM »
Thank you all for your instruction. I do appreciate it. Jbignell, You have provided me with good understandable advice, thank you. My 14 year old and I have been trying to learn blacksmithing, and hope to actually make hawks in the future. I got him the Hershel House blacksmithing DVDs, we watched the first one today and it was great, Jacob was riveted, which is good to see with a 14 year old and ages old technology that I think I have made him understand the importance of learning and preserving. We will be a while before we get that good  :) I will check into the ones you all have mentioned so we can be enjoying the throwing until the blacksmithing part of our skills improve.
What distance do you throw the hawk? Are there regs and different distances like with a gun competition?
Can I bother you for the same info on the knife throwing? I have already described how I have done it since I used to hammer the calf shed door with my pocket knives when I was 7 and should have been doing my chores :D I Sharply extend my arm in a push and "shove" the knife at the target. I am only good for 15 feet or sometimes a little further, hitting within, say a 8-10" circle. If I was considering learning the way to do it and the correct knife to use at say, a mountain man type deal or rendezvous type setting(which I also know nothing about, but that's a different question) What do I need to do different  to get good enough to compete? How good do I need to be? Thank you all again, James

omark

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 03:17:01 AM »
as said above, you are usually required to turn the hawk/knife over 1 turn. the instructions given above are excellent. two other things, 1  a knife usually has to have replaceable handles, such as leather slabs. no need to go fancy just to break them up.  2  there is a maximum cutting surface for the blade of your hawk. i think its about 4", but dont remember for sure.  as far as how good do you have to be to compete, just remember if someone laughs and points, they were there at one time also.  ;)  just kidding. i think youll find the rendezvous bunch to be just as helpful and friendly as the folks on this site. now as far as winning, that just depends on the competition. welcome to the sport and youre doing well with your sons. its a great, wholesome sport and we need more like you.  mark

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 01:05:55 AM »
Be sure to pick up a couple of extra handles. You'll likely break a couple before you get the hang of it.  ;D

Offline James

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 03:17:19 AM »
Luckily Micah, handle making is one of the hand skills I'm proficient at  ;D

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 03:49:34 AM »
Try to find a knife that is roughly the same weight as your tomahawk.  Having it the same length is also a great help, in that they will both throw about the same, if they are physically similar.  Release the "hawk" naturally - don't stop you swing, or try to introduce spin...it'll spin about it's centre of gravity naturally.  I like a handle that is roughly the same length as my forearm.  If it's too long, it takes longer to revolve, forcing you to stand further from the target.  Make your throw deliberate...don't be tentative or afraid of hurting something.  At the same time, you don't have to throw it hard...it has lots of mass and will stick deeply into the end grain of a log target with a moderate throw.

Our tomahawk course has mostly one turn targets, but there are targets that require a turn and a half, and two turns as well.  We throw the knife at the same time, and you are not allowed to remove one before throwing the other, so accuracy is important so as not to cut off your own handle.  For that reason, I always throw my knife first.  I am less likely to damage my knife, and put myself out of the competition, than if I throw my tomahawk, split or otherwise damage my own handle and make further throwing next to impossible.

For the time being, just throw one or the other.  Good luck and have fun.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 08:26:41 PM »
Although I have not used it much in recent years, my small H&B tomahawk (I think they used to call it their "squaw axe") is still in as serviceable condition as the day I got it for my birthday almost 40 years ago when I was a kid.  That is the one I learned to throw with and it should work really well if your kids are young.  If older or bigger kids, it will start to feel a little light, but when I was in that 8-12 age range I threw that thing thousands of times - probably ran miles each time going back and forth between the throwing mark and the block retrieving it.  Went through a few handles an it has some dings and nicks but held up to all the abuse I could give it.

Guy
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 08:33:09 PM by G-Man »

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 02:12:50 AM »
Hello, My boys and I would like to learn to throw. What hawks are best for this. Are the ones sold by TOW the kind to learn this with? Thank you, James
6 paces, mark your spot, lean into or step into the throw.

coutios

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 04:58:21 AM »
   M'thinks Roger has thrown before... I'm kind of short legged.. 5 1/2 works for me... I also like H&B... Once you get her figured out you can challenge the boys to a game of handles..

Have fun
Regards
Dave

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 06:12:08 AM »
I'm like Roger. 6 paces, step with left like throwing a ball.  Let the handle slide out of your hand - no wrist snap.  If the handle sticks pointing back at you, you're a little too far.  If the hawk sticks and the handle is touching the block too, you're too close.

My knife isn a little shorter than my hawk.  I throw it where I end up after throwing the hawk - one step closer.

This is a lot of fun.  When I taught fourth grade, I had the chance to teach a bunch of kids to throw hawks.  Some got good in a hurry.  I didn't have them throw my knife though.  Afraid it could bounce back.
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 03:58:15 PM »
 At the time of release open your hand like you were going to shake hands with the target, all the while keeping you hand pointed at the target.

Tim C.