Author Topic: Another Bedford Rifle Complete  (Read 6351 times)

g rummell

Another Bedford Rifle Complete
« on: March 06, 2011, 06:25:23 PM »
Just finished this up for a customer and wanted to post some pics before he picks it up. I apologize for my photography skills, they are nothing short than lack luster. The rifle was built around a premium curly maple blank, and a 42" 45 caliber 13/16 Getz barrel. The Bedford County lock I fabricated myself as well as the single set trigger. The rifle contains a brass patchbox, brass hardware and 4 coin silver inlays all in the style of Daniel Border.

Offline okieboy

Re: Another Bedford Rifle Complete
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 07:05:32 PM »
 I really like your rifle. It is great to see a Bedford that is not overwhelmed with inlays, I think you gave it just the right amount of decorative elements.
 Did you photograph your single set trigger out of the gun? Is it cam over based, or does it have a latch?

Okieboy

g rummell

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 07:16:51 PM »
I really like your rifle. It is great to see a Bedford that is not overwhelmed with inlays, I think you gave it just the right amount of decorative elements.
 Did you photograph your single set trigger out of the gun? Is it cam over based, or does it have a latch?

No sorry no pictures of the trigger. I actualy got the idea from an old Joseph Mills rifle that had an adjustable screw that you could tighten or loosen at the rear of the trigger itself. What it does is adjusts the trigger travel so you can set it as hard or as light as you want. You have to be careful though, you don't want it too light. Works pretty well actualy, guess the old guys new what they were doing.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 07:18:53 PM by G. Rummell »

KennyC

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 07:28:02 PM »
Really nice work thanks for sharing.      Ken

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 03:24:34 AM »
She's a beauty!  What did you use for stain and finish?  Thanks for posting.
Ken
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 03:25:28 AM by Ken G »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

g rummell

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:43:39 AM »
She's a beauty!  What did you use for stain and finish?  Thanks for posting.
Ken

Thanks Ken, to stain the piece I used:
Ferric Nitrate followed by a heat treatment, 1 coat of LMF Honey Maple, 1 coat of diluted LMF Walnut, followed by a good scrubbing with 0000 steel wool, and then 4 coats of hand rubbed Teak Oil followed up with a little flat black paint via my airbrush.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 04:04:05 AM »
G. Rummell:   Congrats!  You've captured the classic Bedford look and style!  ;)  I esp. like the butt drop - what is it about 5"?  The carving is excellent and inlays nicely done.  The only thing that I might critique on is the length of comb.  Was this a measurement from an old original or just your own savvy?    The single set trigger is also a nice touch.  Can you cock the hammer without setting the trigger?   Just my observations,  nice to good work!    HughToenjes
H.T.

g rummell

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 04:13:06 AM »
G. Rummell:   Congrats!  You've captured the classic Bedford look and style!  ;)  I esp. like the butt drop - what is it about 5"?  The carving is excellent and inlays nicely done.  The only thing that I might critique on is the length of comb.  Was this a measurement from an old original or just your own savvy?    The single set trigger is also a nice touch.  Can you cock the hammer without setting the trigger?   Just my observations,  nice to good work!    HughToenjes

Hugh, thanks for the comments. The stock pattern came right of an original Daniel Border and the drop is
4 7/8 inches so you were close. The words single set trigger may be the wrong words, there is actually a adjustment screw at the rear of the trigger plate that actually adjusts the trigger with more pressure on the sear or less pressure. Like I said in an earlier post it's a little something I copied from an early Joseph Mills rifle. I usually use double sets, however, the customer requested a single trigger.