Author Topic: FINISHED foolin around  (Read 7668 times)

seesbirds

FINISHED foolin around
« on: March 06, 2011, 09:56:52 PM »
A guy contacted me and he wanted a very simple F&I style horn.  Plain butt plug, staple, fairly simple throat and spout, simple engrailing and not much scrimshaw; oh and he wanted it dyed. 

As luck would have it the deal fell through at the point where I had made the horn but not installed the butt plug or done any scrimshaw on it. 

Rather than being *#)*^~ about it, I've taken it as an opportunity to learn how to dye these things and an opportunity to do some scrimshaw work I'd been wanting to do for a while but was always otherwise occupied.

So with the able advice of Scott (oregonhorner) I dyed the throat and spout a very nice dark brown/black color.   Before I began to engrave the horn I wrapped the throat in blue painters tape to protect it from getting dinged or nicked while I was engraving it.

Since this was originally supposed to be a F&I horn I decided to do scrimshaw with a Rogers Ranger's theme.  Specifically I chose the "battle on snowshoes" in March 1758.

Think about it.  How many times have you seen beautifully rendered map horns of the upstate NY region?  How often are (were) horns done that commemorate a successful campaign? 

I've decided to take a different tack and chronicle battles  that were meaningful but where the "good guys" got their a$$e$ kicked.  Such was the case with this battle.  Rogers had to escape capture by sliding down the face of "Roger's rock" in what came to be known as "Roger's slide."  He lost a bunch of men and even left some who had been separated from the company. 

Anyway, here's what I've done so far.  An image of a typical rogers ranger, albeit in warmer weather dress.  He's on the inside curve of the horn.  On the outside curve I am going to put either a map of the battle or a scene of the battle, I haven't yet decided.  There will be other stuff on it too so stay tuned:

and more detail of him from top to bottom:

Once I have all the engraving done I am going to dye it and then install the butt plug. 

I know, I know, it's neither PC or HC but I like it and I hope somebody else likes it enough to buy it when I'm done.

I'll post photos as things proceed.

As always, questions, suggestions, comments and critiques cheerfully entertained.

Thanks for looking.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 10:50:42 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
Re: foolin around
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:45:52 PM »
Wow!! You have one helluva of a start. Excellent detail

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:15:18 AM »
WoW!

What a great scrim! HC or not, it's a great example of the art. You've given me a great idea for a series of accoutrements, plus a rifle to match. Now to figure out what theme...

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 01:23:39 AM by Tim Crosby »

KennyC

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 01:43:41 AM »
Nice work thanks for sharing.  Ken

Offline trentOH

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 02:01:51 AM »
My only comment (drooling on keyboards is not really a comment) is...
Why dye it?  I think it looks magnificent as-is.

If dye makes the ink more fade resistant, or the horn more bug-proof, that's a good thing. But my question is genuine. Why dye it?

lonehunter

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 02:27:14 AM »
Outstanding!

gregg

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 09:20:58 AM »
Keep us updated as the build comes along.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 04:36:30 PM »
 Great work as always Mark. Look forward to seeing it finished.

Tim C.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 10:44:58 PM »
Ugly as homemade sin. Io keep something like that from laying around your shop and discouraging customers send it to me, I'll even pay half the shipping, and i will drool on it---Uh bury it for you.

Seriously beautiful I eagerly await the finished product.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 03:32:50 AM »
    Facial features and hands look great, that's the hard parts to get right, for me anyway, I just can't get it right. Very nice job, thanks for the pic's.    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Down South

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 04:09:09 AM »
Outstanding work as usual, Mark.  I'll be very interested to see the finished horn. 
Billy

seesbirds

Re: FINISHED foolin around
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 11:14:56 PM »
You've all seen the photos I posted of the horn while I was working on it.

I don't usually dye the horns I make, preferring to have the horns come by their patina honestly.  However the guy who originally ordered this horn gave me a reason I had never considered.  To wit:  he planned to carry the horn  hunting and did not want anything on him that was white.

Since the deal with that guy fell through and I decided to turn this into a learning horn; after I finished the engraving I took an extra deep breath and dyed the horn.  I'm happy to say that I like the dye job, the color is nearly what I was after.  However,  I lost a fair amount of fine detail by dyeing the horn and I had to go back and redo some of the spots which were the hardest hit by the dye.  I ended up re-inking the entire horn and the ink "shadow" which is evident on a white horn and which I polish off, I left on this horn to make the color a little deeper and more complex.

After I dyed it, I fit the butt plug and pinned it with birch toothpicks....a very delicate operation under the circumstances, i.e. trying not to mar the dye job while cleaning up the ends of the pins, and one where I wasn't wholly successful.

The butt plug is turned cherry, hollowed out and stained with dark walnut stain.  The horn fits into a shallow groove in the butt plug so there is a slight overhang of the plug over the edge of the horn.    The spout plug is a fiddle peg. The horn was sanded to 600 then scrubbed with 0000 steel wool to take out the ridges raised during the engraving process.  It was then dyed and lightly hit with the steel wool again.  I finished it with a couple of coats of renaissance wax.

Here's the finished product:

The inside curve

The map on the outside curve

The description of the map

The compass

The French forces

RR badge

A part of The Ranger

So what do you guys think?  Dyed or white?

Oh yeah, and it's FOR SALE!

Thanks for all the input.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 10:51:47 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 12:12:25 AM »
 Outstanding Mark, all around very nice work. I'm all for the color, well done.

Tim C.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 12:44:51 AM »
Oh, my--all around! Liked it in the beginning, but like the final color even more.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

RoaringBull

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 01:09:01 AM »
WOW!!!!

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 10:45:22 PM »
Dude,
I love that horn. The color adds a lot of drama to the piece. But I normally like your work non-patinated.
Super work. You just get better.
Rick
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns