Author Topic: sHOOT TODAY???  (Read 17147 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

sHOOT TODAY???
« on: March 06, 2011, 11:56:31 PM »
It may be a stretch; but this may fit under BP shooting!  A local question; but has to do with shooting if the heavy rains permitted a woods walk today.

Anybody on here know if Boyertown managed to shoot today?  

Forecast was 1 to 2 in of rain all day allover and raining like the devil at 6:30 this morning to I chickened out and its bugging me.

Anybody???? HALP !  

Leatherbelly

Re: sHOOT TODAY???
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 04:30:32 AM »
No but the "Donner Party" had our first annual "Cabin Fever Snowshoe" shoot today.
                    Fine bunch of young cannibals!
                       Taylor took pictures too!

What a glorious sunny day,a little cold but quite bearable.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:11:06 PM »
Eight of us shot today, plus one spectator, Kim, the girlfriend of young Darrel Cunningham.  We all threw $5 into the hat and winner took all - Neil Hunter, who missed only two of about 30 shots.  The only consolation is that I made the rifle for his wife, a little Western PA .40 cal.  Leatherbelly and I missed four each, as did young Darrel. (not to be confused with old Daryl, who also ran.  Crispy and Hatchet Jack both shot smoothies.  The temp started out at -15 C but warmed up over the several hours to about -8 C.  Don't know what that is in Foreignheat.  ...just real pleasant with brilliant blue sky and pure white powder.  We're standing on at least 3feet of snow in our snowshoes.  The photographer did not get into any of the pictures.  ...dog's name is Ruger, but will answer to Reminton, Winchester, Mauser...you get the idea.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 09:41:26 PM by Daryl »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Harnic

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 02:05:34 AM »
Looks like it was a beautiful day Taylor & as always when in good company, a LOT of fun!  Thanks for posting!

Old Salt

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 02:40:00 AM »
Roger,

I drove out to the Boyertown shoot.  A small group of the regulars were there. 

As we all gathered around prior to going out the rain kicked up they decided to hold the final leg of the Greatest ML Ever event the first Sunday in April.  Keep your fingers crossed for good weather. 

A few of us made a feeble attempt at the course.  I called it quits after two shots.  My priming horn plugged up on my first shot.  It took a few tries to get the second shot out.  The Civil War guys kept plugging away and the Jersey boys were still on the course when I left.   

I guess you'll be in action next weekend at First Frontier.

Leo

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 02:50:06 AM »
Roger,

I drove out to the Boyertown shoot.  A small group of the regulars were there. 

As we all gathered around prior to going out the rain kicked up they decided to hold the final leg of the Greatest ML Ever event the first Sunday in April.  Keep your fingers crossed for good weather. 

A few of us made a feeble attempt at the course.  I called it quits after two shots.  My priming horn plugged up on my first shot.  It took a few tries to get the second shot out.  The Civil War guys kept plugging away and the Jersey boys were still on the course when I left.   

I guess you'll be in action next weekend at First Frontier.

Leo

Leo thanks for the response.  Happened as I expected.  thought the Corsetti boys might pull it back to silohuettes out from the covered range/ranges.

I'll mark down the first Sunday in April and yes we start our shoots this coming Sunday - I'll save you and your son a spot.

Old Salt

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 03:06:05 AM »
That sounds good Roger.  Grant says he is ready to go.  I'll make sure to bring an extra coat for him.  ;D

Leatherbelly

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 10:29:09 PM »
   Hey Rog!
    Bring a camera, let's see some Pa fun recorded. Do you still have snow?

Harnic

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 11:31:14 PM »
Yeah Roger!  Show us what you guys do for fun! ;)

xring2245

Re: SHOOT TODAY???
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 12:05:07 AM »
Roger,
     Did you get any pics from last Sunday's shoot at Bowmanstown.  I was there, but would love to see some pics.  I guess I will have to bring my camera next month, since I do this for a living.  How about results????  Anything to post.

J. Grimes

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 05:23:26 PM »
Roger,
     Did you get any pics from last Sunday's shoot at Bowmanstown.  I was there, but would love to see some pics.  I guess I will have to bring my camera next month, since I do this for a living.  How about results????  Anything to post.

J. Grimes
Ok Jim - yes please drag your camera along ( I assume you have a few)..
I was busy running up and down that hill and forgot to snap any photos.  The scorers have the result sheet.  I know the meat prizes were fairly well spread around, which is a good thing.  Good ol Carl Schmoyer hit that egg for a $41. pot. He was smiling a little ;D

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 06:35:27 PM »
6 of us showed up for the shoot yesterday - Taylor and I were a bit late as we attended my Granddaughter's 5th birthday breakfast party.  Even though we arrived 1 1/2 hours later than normal, we shot the whole course - probably 45 to 50 shots taken - good day- snow's down perhaps a foot total - only 4' to melt .  There were a couple more targets showing that we haven't been able to shoot for a while due to being burried in snow.
Yippeeeeeeeee - spring is here! ;D

omark

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 01:53:21 AM »
Holy cr&p!!!!!  4' of snow on the ground and spring is here??????    and i was griping.  mark.

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 06:36:17 PM »
Wed - March23rd - only 3' of snow in the yard - piled snow by the plow at the front corner of the yard is about 10' high.
This was taken last weekend - Saturday or Sunday.

my front yard.
see the little mound beneath the tree- that's the bench- 15" of one corner is now showing- whoopeeee spring is here!!!!!!!!

Leatherbelly

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 07:35:14 PM »
 Sheesh I'm getting to hate this 2F snow!or is it 3f?!!

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 05:28:28 AM »
What a day today!  Brilliant sun, good friends and some fun shooting the trail.  Snow's going fast...I'd say only about three feet left in the bush.
The first shot is Sheldon shooting his Baker rifle, and the second is Taylor doing some warrantee work, on site.

D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 04:41:26 PM »
Hmmm now then which way do I move this sight ??? ::)

• Member 3
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 06:02:21 PM »
I needed to move the front sight to the right, but I knocked it right out of the dovetail into the snow!.  So, here I am putting it back.  After this, I fired the rifle at a target at about 90 yards, and got a hit.  Sheldon was having trouble - shooting many feet to the right at that range.  He decided that it was his trigger pull that was causing the trouble.  I sighted the rifle in last fall and had all shots in the black at 50 yds.  He is new to flintlocks and has a lovely flinch and slaps the trigger like a shotgun.  A flintlock will not let you get away with that, as he has discovered.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 10:57:05 PM »
I needed to move the front sight to the right, but I knocked it right out of the dovetail into the snow!.  So, here I am putting it back.  After this, I fired the rifle at a target at about 90 yards, and got a hit.  Sheldon was having trouble - shooting many feet to the right at that range.  He decided that it was his trigger pull that was causing the trouble.  I sighted the rifle in last fall and had all shots in the black at 50 yds.  He is new to flintlocks and has a lovely flinch and slaps the trigger like a shotgun.  A flintlock will not let you get away with that, as he has discovered.
Young Sheldon needs to do some dry firing to get rid of that flinch and we hope he gets rid of that b/4 he tires of the game.  He will see after a while that he will fire that rifle and not even 'see' the flash. He seems to be built to be a rifleman. :)

Thanks for those fine photos.

• Member 3
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 12:05:28 AM »
Roger, he is no stranger to shooting.  But brand new to flintlock shooting.  I suggested the same thing as you have so well pointed out, and that is to put a wooden "flint" in the lock, and practice in his living room.  He needs to be able to see the target in his sights after he has squeezed off his shot.
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 07:32:53 AM »
Six of us shot our trail today...nice day - + 5 C.  The glacier has started to retreat, and some bare earth showing.  Five flintlocks, two of which were smooth-bored, and one percussion with TWO .58 cal bbls.  Lots of fun!!

D. Taylor Sapergia

xring2245

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 04:26:13 PM »
Pics posted on yesterday's (10 April) First Frontier Militia shoot in Bowmanstown, PA on another post.  Please enjoy.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=15746.0

James
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:04:42 PM by xring2245 »

Daryl

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 06:28:31 PM »
In Taylor's bottom picture, left to right - Crispy, Hatchet Jack, Darrel with "Ruger", his love Kim, with her new .50 cal. rifle, myself and Taylor on the far right. Appears I have a bit of a food blister growing.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 06:29:16 PM by Daryl »

Daryl

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 06:54:54 PM »
Easter Sunday!

Great day - warm & above freezing, lovely sunshine - too bad Canvasback left early, before we took the picture. L to R - Daryl, Taylor, Kim, Darrel(I think that's how he mispells his name)

Picture taken from the same location as the group shots above. Snow's almost gone.

xring2245

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 12:53:15 AM »
Love the pics.... Thanks for sharing.

James