Author Topic: How do I get the core out of a cow horn  (Read 18510 times)

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
How do I get the core out of a cow horn
« on: March 10, 2011, 08:31:07 PM »
I have tried a couple of things to get the core out of a feed sack full of horns that I was given.  I have left them sit in my outbuilding for about 15 months and that did nothing to loosen the cores.  Just this past week, I boiled them in a big pot of water for over an hour and they still don't look any different.  Now they are even more smelly.  Help Mr Wizard--anyone know what to do?  I would really like to eventually make powder horns out of them.

Offline whitebear

Re: How do I get the core out of a cow horn
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 10:36:06 PM »
The first horn that I made was with a raw cow horn.  I just boiled it in a can of water OUTSIDE and before long the core started coming loose (smelled like roast beef).  I grabbed it with a cloth pad buy the tip end and whacked it against a convenient tree and the core came flying out. 

Try soaking them in the watter for several days then boiling again.  Immediately after boiling take something (I used a fine rasp) and scrape the horn to remove the rough stuff on the outside.  If it needs it you can also scrape the inside while soft. 
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 01:49:32 AM »
 After 15 months I'm surprised there is anything left of them. The given advice is the way to go.

Tim C.

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 03:39:48 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.  I will give the soaking and boiling another try.  I will let you know the results, and maybe someday post a pic of one of the horns made from them.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 06:13:31 PM »
keep workin at them in different ways,  and when they are ready to come out, they will...

K
Galations 2:20

Black Hand

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 09:55:48 PM »
Someone somewhere suggested running a screw into the core to serve as a handle to pull on to help get the core out....

Online RonT

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 10:17:25 PM »
I've soaked them for ~2-3 days and used a screw in tree step to pull the core.
R
Spes Mea in Deo Est

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 01:51:11 AM »
I run a lag bolt into the bone, boil the horn on the kitchen stove, and then use the vise to hold the screw, and pull.  If you're lucky, the connective layer will come out with the bone, leaving the horn smooth and clean inside.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline James

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 01:38:12 PM »
I would suggest pulling harder on the cow  ;D , but that's just me
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline James

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 01:44:59 PM »
Being serious this time, I have found that left out in the sun sometimes will work. Out of reach of my dog seemed to be the best approach, several years ago I had the head from one I butchered and they separated pretty well that way. Now that I want to learn to make powder horns they won't come apart easy I'm guessing.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

omark

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 05:41:49 PM »
never tried it but heard leaving it on an ant hill would loosen it. of course you need to be aware of neighborhood dogs, or your own.   mark

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 05:48:16 PM »
 The fresher they are the easier it is to boil them out.

Tim C.