Author Topic: three winged musket caps  (Read 2299 times)

blunderbuss

three winged musket caps
« on: April 25, 2011, 04:14:34 AM »
Anyone have an idea where I could find the original source of three winged musket caps. We have an archaeological dig going on at the San Jacinto battle ground and they are finding them there.The battle was April 21St 1836. Who would have thought a musket cap would last 175 years in the open?

Offline Glenn

Re: three winged musket caps
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 06:44:29 AM »
In the U.S.; my first thought is DuPont De Nemoirs.  They supplied most, if not all, of the U.S.-made powder for the American Revolution as I understand it.  I think that is who GOEX bought their Louisiana powder mill from.

The percussion cap, Minnie ball ... both French, as was DuPont.

I would look for somebody in Louisiana first, either a manufacturer or dealer.  The Mississippi River right there in New Orleans was a major trade route then and now.  Easy to get stuff from the industrial northeast and mid-Atlantic down to the south.
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

blunderbuss

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 07:35:01 PM »
Thanks The Texans used Du Pont powder during the Texas Revolution I have a poem about Du pont powder, written in the day, around here somewhere.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 12:48:07 AM by blunderbuss »

Offline Glenn

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 06:49:44 AM »
I wonder if Remington could've made the 3-winged caps, or maybe somebody contracted to Remington back then
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.