Author Topic: 16 ga loads without nitro wads  (Read 5653 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
16 ga loads without nitro wads
« on: March 12, 2011, 04:24:48 AM »
I tried out my new fowler on pen raised (game preserve) Chukar's today. I had not been able to shoot it but a couple of times at a paper target and the pattern sucked! They had holes that a turkey could have flown through! I was sick, shot it a few times at clay targets and missed all but the first target. Sicker! Talked with Tim Boone about what wads/loads he used and he told me only a compression wad, shot and over shot card. Wad lubed in Ballistol.

A friend was taking me to a game reserve today and I almost didn't take my new 16 ga fowler because of the way it was shooting. I decided to try Tim's way and WOW what a difference. For one thing the compression wads seat very easily with my rr (using a large tipped jag) Before I could hardly seat the nitro/compression wads using a 1/2" range rod. I used 1 oz of #8's in front of 70 gr 2f Goex. I killed a couple of birds over 30 yards and the barrel has no choke in it.

When I cleaned it didn't take anywhere near as much to clean the barrel as it did when I was using olive oil to lube nitro wads/compression wads. I can't wait to pattern this load and see how it looks on paper. It did great on live birds.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

roundball

Re: 16 ga loads without nitro wads
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 04:41:44 AM »
I know you have to feel relieved...the whole world of BP smothbores and load development has been an eye-opening experience for me the past few years...makes getting my rifles dialed in seem ho-hum.

My new .28ga Virginia arrived Wednesday, and while this year's strategy is to get it ready with PRB to try a Tom that way if I get a chance, I REALLY want to see how that 42" barrel patterns with shot loads for stuff later on.

Post up progress on the .16ga development...

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 08:09:28 PM »
That's good news, Dennis- I didn't find olive oil to work well in my ML's or my ctg. guns whether it was part ort all of the lube.

I do have some ballistol to try in the pelter, but might also include neetsfoot oil or thinned mink oil. - just what to thin it with?

northmn

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 08:15:52 PM »
I am rapidly coming to the conclusion, based on comments and personal experience that there is a possibility that our use of precut wadding may be a detriment to ML patterns.  If you can get some try wasps nest as that is a recommended old standby (it does powder when carried)  Also I have known a few that have used wadded up newspaper etc.  I am assuming that by compression wad you mean a fiber wad, whcih also may want to break up when shot.

DP 

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 10:59:12 PM »
I am assuming that by compression wad you mean a fiber wad, whcih also may want to break up when shot.
I mean the softer (looks almost like celotex ceiling tiles cut round) wads from Circle Fly. They can be broken apart easily by hand.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Longknife

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 11:23:59 PM »
When I soak the fibre compression wads in lube it makes them very heavy and they tend to act like a slug, blowing holes in the pattern. If I cut them in half and then lube them they are lighter, (fall away quicker or blow apart?) and seem to hold better patterns. One of the old timers, that used to write for M-B mag just used two cards over the powder, this will give good patterns but will not keep the bore clean...Ed
Ed Hamberg

northmn

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 06:34:21 PM »
The 2 cards is the old VM Starr load.  The skeet choke was invented because of this problem even in earlier modern guns, where the wads donuted patterns.  I really do not know if a jug choke helps, but would think it might,  Another old trick was to roughen up the end of the bore to slow the wads.   One contributer mentioned using even 320 grit to do so.  Almost universally, most recommend a load like 70 grains of 2f behind 1 1/8 oz or similar as a stronger charge may tend to open up patterns.  In my cylinder bore 20 I used rolled paper toweling for wadding. 

DP

roundball

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 07:20:42 PM »
In trying various things, I've found that I get my best results using two Oxyoke 1/8" prelubed felt wads, and an OS card on top of them for a solid flat base for the shot....gives me the lube, plus its not so heavy that it blows doughnut holes.
(have actualy started punching my own from Duro-Felt using an ARCH punch)

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 04:33:56 PM »
I've used the V M Starr method in my 20ga for years and like it. it only requires that you carry the thin "overshot" cards. Two go over the powder, one over the shot. Starr patterned the heck out of various loads and concluded this was the best for patterning. If you give it a try you might find the same. I did, for this gun.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

northmn

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 07:45:52 PM »
The over shot wads also are good but do not provide lubrication.  Out in the field they are a good choice also.  I tend to use one nitro card and split off an over shot wad when hunting also.  Use of a fiber cushion wad would work if it disentegrates, but one soaked in fluid will not.  If one had a wad punch cork used to be used also.

DP

jrice

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 04:22:37 PM »
Reading these comments brought to mind about everything that I have tryed to get my 20 ga fowler to pattern. I too settled on a wool felt wad o/p  for shot. I still use a fiber wad o/p for roundball. I believe it is made from paper. It's thickness is 1/2". I was using a harder more dense fiber wad for shot that shot through the pattern. I have a can of Ballistol that I will try on my felt wads. Very good information. Enjoyable reading. Good Luck! Jerry

Offline Telgan

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 04:36:43 PM »
Like to see a photo or two of your new fowler Dennis. Is it already posted in another thread?