Author Topic: Hawk Handle Replacement....???  (Read 3967 times)

Horserod

Hawk Handle Replacement....???
« on: March 16, 2011, 09:03:38 AM »
I need to replace my Hawk's handle.  I've had this one for years and I can't remember where I got the handle......Let alone the head itself!! The head says "Cast Steel  Allen MFG  Warranted".   And I'm sure there is a procedure involved with replacing the handle....???  Thanks for your help,  Horserod   ???

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Hawk Handle Replacement....???
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 06:15:29 PM »
Horserod,
There is no trick to replaceing a hawk handle. Slide the old one out and slide the new one in. I have a number of them here if you want to PM me. Track, and other shops also sell them.
Mark
Mark

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 06:28:13 PM »
I have a nice piece of curly maple if you want to PM me.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

coutios

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 03:29:25 AM »
  Just have to ask.... Ya planning on throwing it or smoking it ???   For my throwing hawk I like a peice of hard straight grain hickory...  Prior posts direct you to where to get what you need...

Regards
Dave

KennyC

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 03:42:18 PM »
For both my throwing hawk and poll hachet I perfer hickory  just my 02

Horserod

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 07:45:37 AM »
  Thanks guys.......I was concerned that my Hawk (head) would take a certain handle.  I take it that any handle will fit ???  Are they all made the same size ???  That's why I listed my head's manufacturer.  Horserod

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 04:33:07 PM »
Horsehead,
All of the available hawks will be close in size, not exactly the same. Most of the handles you will find on the market will be a little oversized and should fit into any of the hawks. You may find it to be a little larger than the eye on your hawk which will allow you to drive it home and create a good snug fit. After I mount a new handle I often drop it, head and all, into a bucket of water which will swell the handle into the hawk very tightly. Be sure to oil the head first if you soak it. I do have some straight grain pre shaped handles and one curley maple blank
Mark
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:09:44 PM by smokinbuck »
Mark