General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

Soapstone bullet moulds

(1/2) > >>

Paddlefoot:
Anyone ever see a soapstone bullet mould? Ever use one?

Firelock:
I saw a set of soap stone bullet moulds in the fleamarket at Friendship that had been found along the Wabash river in Indiana. I've never used them but I guess the French, Indians and British/Americans used them, judging from the historic location they were found.

http://www.tcha.mus.in.us/feast.htm

AeroE:
I've seen several over the years, and occasionally I try to keep an eye out for a piece of scrap from a counter top or even a raw rock to use for making a mold.

chuck c.:
There are a couple in the Museum of Appalachia along with a lot of other great stuff of interest to muzzle loading enthusiasts. There is also a stone bullet mold in the " Guns and Gunmaking Tools of Southern Appalachia". You'll find everything shown in this book in the museum. What's really wild is the old homemade crossbows. It seems that at times lead and powder where too expensive of a commodity for some of these ingenious people, so the fashioned crossbows from the numerous hardwoods on hand and hunted with them! I expect that if Ken Guy see one of these, he'll be making one.

timM:
Soap Stone Molds.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version