Author Topic: I bought the Tingle Rifle. Questions...  (Read 7033 times)

Offline Skychief

I bought the Tingle Rifle. Questions...
« on: March 19, 2011, 04:05:29 AM »
The Tingle I bought today is numbered 16XX.   It is a halfstock 45 caliber and has a 32 caliber Douglas barrel made for it also.

It is an interesting piece.

I would be grateful if any of you can lead me to more informatin about Tingle and his guns.   When did he start and end production?   Who likely produced the barrel on my rifle (it is unmarked).  When was #16XX likely made?   Did he make his own locks (mine is coil-springed).   How many rifles did he produce all together (I realize he was known more for his pistols).

Any and all information and/or photos appreciated!

Thanks, Skychief.

Offline Kermit

Re: I bought the Tingle Rifle. Questions...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 08:12:48 AM »
Photos? Do YOU have any?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline heinz

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 03:04:23 PM »
Skychief, The Tingle rifles were around in the 50s and early 60s and I do not know when they stopped production. At that time the available choices were Numrich, Tingle, and Dixie Gun Works or custom guns.  What you have is a part of the rebirth of muzzleloading.  Bob was a fixture at Friendship Indiana and the NMLRA national shoots.  THe NMLRA probably has some information on him.  He also made a pistol that was very popular with serious competitors.  He made his own locks and stocks.  The guns had sort of a non traditional style that limited their appeal to the primitive shooters but were popular on the shooting line.  Actually the stock looks a lot like a late Honaker.  Log Cabin used to carry an adjustable sight that as I recall bolted right on. Dan Kindig at Log Cabin could probably tell you a lot about Bob, or email the folks the the NMLRA
kind regards, heinz

Offline Skychief

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 05:03:44 PM »
Kermit, I do not have a picture of the rifle.   I have found that a picture and description is in the 1972 Gun Digest.   They list the rifle as a 'Tingle Model 1962 Target Rifle'.

heinz, thanks very much for the information and resources.   I will follow up on your suggestions.

Much appreciated, Skychief.

PS, if things go according to plan, I will be shooting it today.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 06:34:35 PM »
I was going to offer to dig back in my books and see what I could find, but it sounds like you've done that. I kind of remember the name Tingle from my beginning years in muzzleloading, but nothing I'd ask anyone to rely on for veracity! ;D
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 12:20:47 AM »
I remember meeting Bob Tingle at Friendship back around 1970.  There were several shooters in our local muzzle-loading club who had Tingle rifles and they were tack-drivers.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 01:24:12 AM »
Thanks Curt.   I have shot the rifle and can vouch for it's accuracy!

Offline TPH

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 04:01:09 PM »
While it might be an important part of "the rebirth of muzzleloading", can the Tingle even come close to being considered an American Longrifle? I don't think so. Sorry.   
T.P. Hern

Offline Skychief

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 03:48:32 AM »
While it might be an important part of "the rebirth of muzzleloading", can the Tingle even come close to being considered an American Longrifle? I don't think so. Sorry.   

In the sense that you ask and answer your question, I agree with you,,,,"I don't think so".   Still it is a rifle, made in America  and fairly long for that matter.   Thank you for your contribution.

Offline TPH

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 04:12:45 PM »
:)
T.P. Hern

Offline Skychief

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 12:39:04 AM »
 :D