Author Topic: Unknown maker  (Read 3758 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Unknown maker
« on: March 19, 2011, 06:35:47 PM »
A local shooter brought this by the shop.
No visible markings.
He was told it was made in the 1930s. In Ohio or ?  The man he bought it from has passed and was not all that "reliable" IMO.
It has the oct machined rod pipes so I say circa 1970 at the earliest and likely later . German silver BP, TG and nose cap.

I told the guy I would post the pics to see if anyone might know who made it.

Lock plate is flat stock, 1/2 cock notch does not capture the sear, all coil spring.
Triggers look to be shop made, narrow trigger plate.
45 caliber x 15/16 barrel about 33". 8 grooves but too shallow for a Douglas.  Barrel has not been out of the stock so if its marked on the bottom flats it will have to await the owners closer examination.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

38_Cal

Re: Unknown maker
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 06:09:48 PM »
I can remember seeing an article in a magazine or book on that type of lock, I think form the mid 70's...but darned if I can place it better than that!  Possibly Rifle magazine?

David

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 05:31:59 PM »
Dan,
I was shown a rifle with a lock very much lilke this one that was made by Louis Poole who lived in our area(south west WA). He was building this type of lock in the 50"s- 70"s and complained to TC for copying his design. He marked this rifle  L. Poole. He had used an old original barrel that he had recut the rifling on and restocked it. Maybe one of his early rifles?
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 04:08:40 PM »
Is this a Robbins lock?  Actually there were a number of people making these coil spring locks in the 60s.  We had a fellow locally who made them.  I think that there were some "make your own muzzleloader" articles out at that time that had instructions on how to make them.  I've seen them for sale on ebay.  Pretty rifle with nice lines & finish.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.