Author Topic: Lost Powder Horn Search  (Read 6148 times)

AckleyMark

Lost Powder Horn Search
« on: March 20, 2011, 05:56:41 AM »
A powder horn that sold at an estate auction in West Finley, PA in the 1990's is being sought. It is a revolutionary war relic that was made by my ancestor. I have photos of the horn and want to know the best way to find the trail leading to its current owner. It's out there somewhere. Any ideas?
I believe the horn sold for about $700 in 1991 and that would mean that the person who bought it knew what it was. So, the chances of this thing being bought by a know-nothing and ending up in a child's toy box are slim. My guess is that it is on display or being used in reenactments. ANY suggestions on tracking this thing down would be appreciated.

Mark Ackley

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn55/Chriscraft_photos/Genealogy/powderhornweb.jpg
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 07:54:56 PM by AckleyMark »

Offline HIB

Re: Lost Powder Horn Search
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 05:43:50 PM »
Mark,  The vast majority of us attend at least several shows a year and will keep a look out for the horn. The pictures could be better but in lue of that can you tell us exactly what you remember about the horns engraving. Any names or important features will help. Right now we know the end cap is attached with large metal studs and a town appears to be significant part of the engraving. Can you identify the town? And what do you remember about the rest of the horn. Everything you put out there will help.  HIB

AckleyMark

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 06:09:37 PM »
I never saw this horn myself. All I have seem are these pictures. I didn't even notice an engraving or a town although you might be right - there might be one. I have nothing else to go on except the original owner was probably living in Glouchester, New Jersey when he enlisted.
Mark

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 09:01:53 PM »
Good luck. I will be looking around too. Rick
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 10:24:12 PM »
You may consider contacting Mel Hankla via email with the photos. Mel has looked at untold numbers of originals and should be considered extremely knowledgable on this subject. In his search for horns by the "Folky Artist" he may well have seen your horn.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 03:23:37 AM »
If it sold in PA, try Walter O'Connor. He may have even bought it back then. Too bad you let so much time lapse before you began your search, but, I too know how that goes. By now it could even work to your advantage as the buyers have had it for awhile, and may be more prone to parting with it. Best of luck to you!
Dick

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 03:29:29 AM »
If the horn was sold in PA, you might do well to contact Walter O'Connor. He may have even bought it back then. He is the expert on horns from that region and up in the NE area. Too bad so much time has lapsed before you began the search, but I know how that happens, as well. It could work in your favor as the buyers have had it for some time now, and may be more prone to part with it, especially to a descendent. Good luck!!!
Dick

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 03:37:27 AM »
If I were you, I'd contact the Honorable Company of Horners, who keep the traditional horn-making methods and skills alive today, and explain your situation and see if they might run the pictures and story of your horn in their newsletter. They have recently done a lot of good work in preserving information on old horns that were previoulsy documented and sketched, and they might relish the chance to locate another good lost horn. Despite the quality of yiour photos, the horn appears to have substantial carving on it and is probably a good quality carved horn, perhaps a map horn from what little I can see. Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 11:13:43 PM by Tanselman »

J1776

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 03:46:40 AM »
Good luck with your search, to regain such a family heirloom would be wonderful!

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 04:35:02 PM »
That looks like a really nice, untampered with horn and $700 would  have been a good deal even in 1991. The town is probably New York, but could be Philadelphia or Boston.  Also looks like a nice British coat of arms (unicorn and Lion) on it as well, but hard to tell.  New York (or less commonly Philadelphia) and the coat of arms were common elements on many professionally made horns of the era between the F&I War and Revolution. 

Good luck - hope you find it!

Guy

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 05:35:22 PM »
I'll be watching for it also.  I love to see these things in the hands
of their families.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.