Author Topic: Help with ID, Found an old Fowler, trying to date it.  (Read 3527 times)

J1776

Help with ID, Found an old Fowler, trying to date it.
« on: March 19, 2011, 09:02:56 PM »
I came across what appears to be an old English fowler not far from me. I'm a little unfamiliar with the prices/values versus condition, so I thought I'd post it here with some photos to see if its worth picking up and, what exactly it is.  It's origin/history intrigues me.
Can't make out exactly what it says on the side of the lock either, though it looks like a percussion cap conversion.
Any ideas on how old, etc?

Thanks fellas. ;)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:03:34 PM by J1776 »

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Help with ID, Found an old Fowler, trying to date it.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 04:03:24 AM »
Sorry, I don't know much about the fowler, but looks like a fairly typical mid grade gun. The lock was converted from flint and I can't find that name in any of my books. I'd think an after 1800 gun and would think it worth about $400/$500.

I'm curious about the pistol in the lower left side of the case. Old/new/American/foriegn?
Thanks,
John
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:12:27 AM by JTR, continued »
John Robbins

J1776

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 04:37:36 AM »
Sorry, I don't know much about the fowler, but looks like a fairly typical mid grade gun. The lock was converted from flint and I can't find that name in any of my books. I'd think an after 1800 gun and would think it worth about $400/$500.

I'm curious about the pistol in the lower left side of the case. Old/new/American/foriegn?
Thanks,
John

Thanks.  Yes, I wasn't thinking that this fowler was much of anything really.  Looked to possibly be early 1800s.
As for the pistol.  Not sure, but I did take a look at it briefly, it looked foreign.  I'd have to look again.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 08:37:59 PM »
The name on your English Fowler is not listed ,if here in the UK we come across a gun maker which is not listed we class them has those retailed by Ironmongers and the like .
As for the age of the Fowler according to the Birmingham Proof marks on the barrel of the viewers mark with the crossed scepters  and the Proof House mark of the crossed scepters under a crown and the letters BPC  will make the gun after 1813 .
Feltwad

J1776

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 03:45:30 AM »
Feltwad,..
Thank you very much for weighing in!  Very interesting.