Author Topic: more pictures of no 2  (Read 7142 times)

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
more pictures of no 2
« on: March 21, 2011, 09:29:31 PM »
here it is
It's a Rice Barrel B configuration swamp 42 inch in 45 cal
Trigger guard , butt, L&R action , Whithlighting touch hole from Track of the Wolf.
Triggers, pipes, sights, patch box tapered rod made from me.
Stain is vinegar, Stock finish from Keith Castell.
Barrel fitting David Rase.
All metal browning is from Birchwood Casey Brown than covered with cold blue than Keith Castell stock finish
Rod is from hickory.
to come will be coning the barrel.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:38:52 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
Denis

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: more pictures of no 2
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:39:23 PM »
Very Nice!!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline rick landes

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 10:54:23 PM »
Thank you for sharing. Could we see a close up of the top barrel breech area. The photo seems to show an inlay or a poured piece here? or maybe it is just a reflection.

I really like the curve of the butt-plate. The color and finish are spot on.

Where do you get Keith Castell's finish from and did you use it per the instructions?

Very nice work.
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

wetzel

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:11:06 PM »
Wow, good work!  How does she shoot?

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 11:19:03 PM »
Very nice. What does she weigh?
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:43:31 PM »
    freachman, very fine gun. I like the inlays, they add a nice touch. Thanks for the pic's.    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 11:43:56 PM »
Hi Rick, it is an inlay it was to repair a bad chip i tried wood and glue and it came out uuuuugly,For Keith Castell it was bought at Dixon a few years back everything is on the bottle very easy to use and it is worth it. You can also see my weld seam i thought it would not show don't know what to do about it, any ideas out there . No i am not going to cut it and start over.
Denis

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 11:48:10 PM »
Hi Wetzel, did not had time to shoot the gun will be done when the weather changes. For now i am looking at some *&?** snow flakes coming down will keep you posted when done
Denis

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 11:52:53 PM »
Hi Paddlefoot she weights 8 pounds on the nose
Denis

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 12:03:45 AM »
I like it. Great solution to the tang chip out too. There has got to be some chemical that will brown up that weld spot in your tang. I don't know what might do it but I'd just try the different cold browns, blues, clorox, majic marker, etc. till something seemed to take. Somebody posted once that there is a way to brown the Chambers stainless vent liners but I forget what that tip was.

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 12:09:55 AM »
thanks Ken will try different things and if it works i will post it
Denis

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 12:51:43 AM »
I like it a lot, and your fixes fit the gun well.  Only problem I see, is that it won't spark too well with wood flints.  Ya might want to check with Rich Pierce about some of his White Missouri Flints. ;D

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 02:41:44 AM »
Love the browning job and the stock finish..Far be it from me to pick the rifle apart; but I usually wade right in.  I shoot a So style .45 and have built several that are waiting in line to run the circuit.   Anyhow- To my eye and that may not be saying too much; but that top frt of the lock moulding being some wider than the lower moulding catches my eye and I would think she would look much better with the top and bottom matching width wise.  The opposite lock panel looks too high and should have been lower in the top front section with a slight taper away from the side flat of the barrel....Again to my eye only, your cheek piece moulding too many evenly spaced grooves.  Frt of comb just too high, she may pound you. If she were mine I would shoot the girl first before I would cone that muzzle. Coning a muzzle does not turn me on. Or do you mean champher it ::)
Again take this for what it's worth and don't lose any sleep over it.   ;)  Oh, and please let us know how she shoots and what ball, patch powder combo does it. :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:29:22 PM by Roger Fisher »

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 03:14:49 AM »
Thanks Roger for the tips i don't minds any of your comments these are of great help.
I could see that something was off on the opposite lock panel but could not put my finger on it.
I will be looking at that gun more closely to get a better understanding of the missed details. Details are so difficult for the untrained eye ,i go by books and pictures from magazines, and read books but there is nothing like experience eyes and not everything can be writing down .This is why i am not ready for more elaborate guns right now i need to understand the frame of the rifle , i feel this is what make a beautiful gun and the rest is extra. Yes coning but yes will try it first.
Denis

Offline rick landes

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 05:15:09 PM »
Thank you for honoring my request to post the upper breech area. I think your fix was well executed.

I am always concerned when joining metals if the filler will match the two base materials.
Do you know what filler rod/wire was used? It may help track down a browning agent.

Not knowing I might be inclined to try a browning solution applied to heated metal. The reaction is faster and should prove to be almost instantly evident of success. I had some recent success with the Mark Lee browning solution, and have had good results with the LMF, as well as numerous rust blues.

I see from the pics there is a bit of rust dust ? around the lock. It makes me think the metal needs to be neutralized completely, dried and then "sealed" with BLO, oil or wax; depending on one's preferences.
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 09:43:16 PM »
I Rick,
 could not say what type of wire was used for the weld a friend did it for me and i specified soft metal. You are right for the action . But i do want it to rust more, than i will neutralise it. I used Birchwood Casey browning solution , the only stuff available around here, yes she was hot when i place the liquid on to it. Next time i go through the state i Will try to find a store that sales a different browning solution . Around here ordering liquids it like wanting to built a B hoops i can't write the word , they are maybe reading this than a will be a mark man  :D
thanks Denis
Denis

jeager58

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 03:47:20 AM »
just by the looks of the weld it was welded with a 309 wire or inconel.  both have chrome and nickle content. I dont think you will ever get it to brown without  cutting that part out and welding it with a mild steel wire...phil

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 04:04:07 AM »
Thanks Phil
then it will have to be will put this down as experience not one of the best
Denis