Author Topic: Hawken Forend Cap Construction  (Read 3557 times)

bigsky

Hawken Forend Cap Construction
« on: October 18, 2008, 11:39:24 PM »
Does anybody have any information about how to fabricate a Hawken forend cap from sheet stock?  I think I remember an article or instructions from way back when, but can't seem to find them anywhere.
Thanks
Kevin

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Hawken Forend Cap Construction
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 01:47:58 AM »
I think it was in Muzzle Blasts in the late 60s. But its possible its been in more than once.
There was one with patterns for the buttplate IIRC.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 03:53:23 AM »
In Jim Wright's video "Building a Hawken Rifle" Hershel House makes the nose cap for the video gun out of sheet steel.
DMR

Seven

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 01:32:32 PM »
There is a tutorial in the tutorial section of these forums.  It isn't specific on Hawken forends, but I thin it explains the process of using sheet stock very well. 

bigsky

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 02:04:58 AM »
Seven, thanks for reminding me of the tutorial.  The process should be similar, however the the design is not quite correct for a half-stock Hawken.  David, I've got the Hershel House video.  Now I just need a pattern or some measurements to construct a mandrell to form the sheet stock over.  As I recall House's "measurements" were a bit vague ("that looks about right").  I need to dig around for my Robideaux (spp?) blueprint set, maybe thats where I've seen instructions on fabricating a half-stock forend cap.
Kevin

bigsky

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 04:30:47 AM »
I just checked my Robidoux plans and they did not give instructions or patterns for constructing the cap from sheet stock as I thought.  The plans were for a later styled rifle with cast parts so just showed the cap as it would appear from different views.  If anyone can find the old Muzzle Blasts article with instructions or patterns for constructing an earlier styled nose cap from sheet steel, I would appreciate it.