Author Topic: White lightning countersink angle  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

White lightning countersink angle
« on: May 22, 2016, 08:03:18 PM »
I am putting a 1/4" white lightning liner in my .40 barrel today. I have installed a couple of these in other guns and counter sunk the hole with without checking the angle of the countersink, they came out well.

I was looking at Tracks site and they sold a 90 degree countersink for their version of a white lightning liner, Chambers doesn't specify a countersink angle. I think mine is an 82 degree.

Which countersink angle do you guys use for this type of instillation.

Offline BJH

Re: White lightning countersink angle
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 08:41:24 PM »
82 degrees should be just fine. In a broader countersink the outside edge would fit tighter. If the touch hole liner had a broad flange like a flat head screw. As small as the chamfer would be I think metal deformation would close it up, when you snug it down.  BJH
BJH

coutios

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 09:03:00 PM »
   Track is selling a knock off. a "Chambers"  White Lightning is 82 degrees

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 10:07:40 PM »
Track's is 90 deg.  I actually prefer theirs over the "original", it has a larger internal cavity.  Either one will work fine for you, just know which one you have. 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 10:27:02 PM »
Thanks, I had a pile of liners, after I installed the liner I noticed an old instruction sheet from Chambers in the bottom of my parts box, 82 degrees is what they recommend.

I bought a Track Issac Hanes kit a while back that someone put up for sale on a free archery classified. Inside was every drill bit, tap and countersink for completing the rifle. I tried the 82 degree they supplied with the kit, it didn't like cutting a Green Mountain barrel at all, pretty cheap.   

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 01:12:53 AM »
I have several different countersink angles, but have always used the standard 82 for my White Lightning liners.   They have always pulled up tight. 

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 05:03:05 PM »
I like to cut off the lug and then peen the liner into the cs  before filing flush, just in case something is not perfect.

Now, if I could just figure out how to consistently tighten the liner I would be doing OK. I am always afraid about those fine threads in soft barrel steel.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 10:08:50 PM »
I hadn't thought of peening which sounds like a good idea, my countersink was a little wonky but everything tightened up OK.

I am a little off center but pretty close, that late Ketland lock doesn't give you much measuring room.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 11:57:05 PM »
Looks dead on to me Eric. I always peen those liners before filing them flush.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 01:53:12 AM »
I have always gotten a tight fit without peening.