Author Topic: Duprey rifle on the blog today  (Read 6748 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Duprey rifle on the blog today
« on: March 23, 2011, 02:08:22 PM »
Interesting gun, I like it. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bgf

Re: Duprey rifle on the blog today
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 05:02:10 PM »
Mike, you may have met your match there.  That looks like it came out from under a tarp in an old shed, and I mean that in a good way.  Do you reckon he went to one of those fancy PA schools :)?

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 07:57:54 PM »
The Soddy guns are my favorite!  Jack has a dead ringer there.  Great looking rifle. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

MagKarl

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 07:07:59 PM »
That's a beauty right there.  Very nice.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:22:46 PM »
I have a hard time getting past the roughness of the work.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 03:40:27 PM »
I have a hard time getting past the roughness of the work.
Looks like red maple finished with a sraper. I find the end result to be warm with alot of character and "soul".
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 04:46:07 PM »

The "roughness" isn't just a result of scraper work.  Open up the pictures full size and you will surely see.  Now, I'm not saying this is good or bad, just trying to help clarify what it is.

Offline bgf

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 10:12:46 PM »
I took the roughness of the work in almost every case to be a conscious choice not to prissy it up too much.  My reasoning for that is how effectively he carried out a deceptively treacherous architecture; hard to believe he can't scrape and polish with the best.  I think that he just did everything to the minimum in terms of fitting and finishing in many cases.  It is most likely a hard choice to make these days, but not at all outrageous for the type of rifle it is.    Perhaps he went too far, but over-finishing a rifle of that type would have been -- is -- a worse offense in my view.

Roy S.

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 12:42:42 AM »
Jack is a cool old dude, not sure when he built this gun but I am more than sure that its the same one from when I first met him.. Personally I like it.

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 01:39:27 AM »
Could someone venture a guess as to the wash board effect on the side plate panel. Scraper chatter marks? Just wonderin. I really like this rifle. It is different, but I like it.   JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline heinz

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 04:10:24 AM »
Looks suspiciously like what I get when I set the plane blade too coarse
kind regards, heinz

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 04:48:36 AM »
Well it is a lot easier to make something with this level of workmanship. Hog out the wood, put in the metal, rough shape it, rust the parts and viola a complete gun.
I can't do this "level of work".
Can you imagine an actual master allowing his apprentice to do this sort of thing? If the master was properly trained its not going to happen.
If he did he would be violating the apprentice contract to properly train the apprentice.

In America anyone could and can "build guns" and it is painfully obvious that this was the case when looking at some originals. Some of them are butt ugly and could be the product of someone who stocked muskets during the Rev War and then thought he was a gunsmith.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Flinter

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 03:17:29 AM »
Anybody from Arkansas would be happy to own A flintlock like that.

The only thing I see wrong with it it it just has to small hole at the muzzle. Other than that, I like it.

Mike