Author Topic: horn stoppers  (Read 3637 times)

Offline LynnC

horn stoppers
« on: March 24, 2011, 07:24:41 AM »
Can powder horn stoppers be turned from horn or antler rather than wood?  I have small tips left over that I could turn but don't think I've seen them other than wooden.  Any reason horn or antler should not be used to stop a horn spout?   thanks........Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline The Original Griz

Re: horn stoppers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:50:25 PM »
To answer your question, yes they can. I have tried it a couple times but did not like the results. Horn against horn is to hard surfaces trying to fit together. Wood will be a little more flexible and will give a better fit. I made one several years ago and when I put it in the horn it split the tip of the horn. It was just like driving a splitting wedge into the horn. Wood is what I will be sticking with for the tip plugs. I especially like pine, softer
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

tuffy

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 03:27:39 PM »
When I need or desire to use horn or antler for a tip, I turn it and then flatten off the bottom, drill a hole and add a wooden peg. Then I stain or dye it to the desired color. And as Griz stated, you don't have to worry about two hard surfaces rubbing together.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 05:04:51 PM »
I have used horn stoppers on several occasions with good results.  I like to taper the hole using a taper pin reamer and then turn a matching taper on the stopper.  This technique seems to work well when putting horn against horn.  Kind of the same principle as tapering the sliding wooden patchbox lid.
DMR

Mike Norin

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 05:56:08 PM »
Just like David said , they will work good if you taper them .

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 06:23:30 PM »
On two day horns of mine I threaded the horn spout, then took antler tips and fitted short sections of bolt in each.  The tips screw in, won't fall out and look okay.  Actually, one horn with a large open end was first fitted with an antler plug that had been center drilled (1/4") with a hole and that hole threaded.  Remove the plug to fill; press back in and screw in the pouring spout plug. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 05:48:54 AM »
Well I have pros and cons to consider.  Guess that Means I have to experiment a little and post my results. 
I use a sharpened file tang to taper ream the spout hole then try to turn the plug to match.  Thanks all for your ideas and I'll let you know how it turns out ;)
Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......