Author Topic: crisco for patch lube  (Read 19385 times)

Offline kutter

Re: crisco for patch lube
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 11:15:25 PM »
In my limited new experience w/BP last season, I started out using TC BoreButter in my 50 FL. It worked OK but had a little build up starting 4" or so down the muzzle after a few shots (no wiping). Plus it gets very thin and almost to the liquid point in hot weather..
I then switched to 50/50 TC B-B and Crisco melted together.
Not as soft and runny in the warm weather as the B-B alone and I've shot as many as 35rds w/o wiping the bore out. Could have gone more but that was it for the day.
A short starter is used and the load then slides down the bore each time very smoothly & easily.

I melt an eyeballed 50/50 amount of each in a handy empty shoepolish tin. I grease the home pre-cut (square) patch at the range, no pre-lube. Nothing fancy, just wipe the patch accross the surface of the stuff in the tin and work it in a bit and load.
Didn't have good luck w/a spit patch then IIRC.

I can remember using straight Crisco back when I first shot BP in my teens. Seems it left a some hard fouling in the bore unless you wiped it after each shot or maybe two.
Used to fill the base cavity on 58Minies with the stuff. Seemed to help along with the lube in the grooves with the fouling problem... and left a nice smoke trail once in a while.

Leatherbelly

Re: crisco for patch lube
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2011, 11:12:48 PM »
  Speaking for myself,I would avoid all that messy guck and use what Daryls and Taylor use,that being neetsfoot oil. Bear grease,and perhaps other tallow types, I stay away from due to the horrid cleanup needed thereafter.