Author Topic: Antes PB release  (Read 5164 times)

Offline chuck

• Starting Member
Antes PB release
« on: January 22, 2010, 12:14:17 AM »
Does anyone know what type of patchbox lid release mechanism is on the Antes swivel?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Antes PB release
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 07:06:57 AM »
Nice of you to continue the research on my behalf, Chuck.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline James

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 02:08:39 AM »
I also would like to know what the mechanism would be as I wish to use this patchbox on my attempt at RCA#53.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 08:21:14 PM »
On another Antes longrifle with an almost identical box, the release is a push rod from the heel of the butt plate, disguised to look like a wood screw.  There appear to be two wood screws to hold down the butt plate return, and the rear one actuates the push rod.  the latch on the box lid is in the upper rear corner.  The kick-open spring looks like a tyne from a leaf rake coming rearward from under the box's head.  I would be surprised if the swivel rifle had a much different system.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline James

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 01:03:29 PM »
Taylor, in looking through the books I had seen the type release you mention used on other guns, didn't know if Antes used it as RCA#54  shows the top of the buttplate but only the one screw. The way you mention works for me if he used it on another of his guns :) Daniel, I had not considered that as I didn't know the gun is there. Are the historical societies amenable to answering questions of this nature? Also, the description of #54 states a four piece patchbox. Where is the division as I am not seeing separations or more than 3 screws. One in the finial and 2 aft of the side panels. Are the parts scarfed and overlapped? Thank you, James
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline heinz

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 01:33:33 PM »
The new book, Moravian Gunsmiths, has a detailed look at this rifle.
kind regards, heinz

BGC

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 04:49:37 PM »
2 side panels, finial, and lid =4 piece

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 05:42:49 PM »
I had heard that the daisy-headed patchbox on one of the Antes rifles appears to be a later addition.  Does anyone have any knowledge of this, i.e., is there evidence of a patch on the buttplate or in the cavity indicating this is a later replacemnt of, say, a wood box? 

Offline chuck

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 09:44:25 PM »
If you study the photo 54e (RCA 54) you will see what appears to be a pin/pin hole just below the butt plate return which I would guess is for the lug. If this is the case then I would expect the screw to be the release pushbutton  as on RCA 53 and the example that Taylor refers to. Since I raised this question a year ago I have had the opportunity to study color photos of this area and there does appear to be a brass lug pin.