Author Topic: Charles Slaymaker, gunsmith  (Read 6416 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Charles Slaymaker, gunsmith
« on: March 24, 2011, 11:46:23 PM »
Can anyone provide patchbox photos of a Slaymaker gun and or
provide information on him
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Loudy

Re: Charles Slaymaker, gunsmith
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 07:10:30 PM »
Suzkat,

I don't have anything on gunsmith Charles "Slaymaker".  However, I do have quite a bit on a gunsmith named Charles Slaysman from Mifflin County, PA.  Any chance this might be the guy you're referring to?  If so, I will be happy to provide what I have.   

Mark

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 07:34:28 PM »
Yes, that's probably him.  The gun I'm looking at has a Q
like finial and patchbox sideplates that are seperated from
the box by wooden strips.  I can email pictures if you like?
Interested in knowing more about him.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Loudy

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 07:53:30 PM »
Suzkat,

Below is the information I have compiled on gunsmith Charles Slaysman and his father, gunsmith George Slaysman.  There is a photo of a Slaysman rifle in Henry J. Kauffman’s book “The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle”, p. 345.

I hope you find this information of interest. 

Mark

Charles Slaysman
Born:    1810 Lewistown, Mifflin County, Pennsylvania
Died:    1876 Indiana Borough, Indiana County, Pennsylvania

Charles Slaysman was the son of gunsmith George Slaysman.  He worked as a gunsmith in Indiana, Indiana County, Pennsylvania. 
Ref. “Gunsmiths of Bedford, Fulton, Huntingdon, & Somerset Counties” by J.B. Whisker & L.W. Yantz, p. 35.   

George R. Slaysman
Born:   March 31, 1782 Northampton County, Pennsylvania
Died:   August 11, 1862 Punxsutawney, Jefferson County, Pennsylvania

George Slaysman was a gunsmith in Lewistown, Mifflin County, Pennsylvania from about 1805 to 1822.  He later worked in Woodbury Township in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania, ca. 1825–1832.  From 1832 until his death in 1862 he resided in Punxsutawney, Jefferson County, Pennsylvania.  George’s son Charles Slaysman (1810-1876) was a gunsmith in Indiana Borough, Indiana County, Pennsylvania.
Ref. “Gunsmiths of Bedford, Fulton, Huntingdon, & Somerset Counties” by J.B. Whisker & L.W. Yantz, p. 35.   

In 1851, George Slaysman was taxed in Punxsutawney, Jefferson County owning “one horse, two cows”.

A photograph of a full stock longrifle signed “G. Slaysman” on the top facet of the barrel can be seen in Henry J. Kauffman’s book entitled “The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle”, p. 345.  This rifle shows many architectural features that are consistent with guns from the Huntingdon County school of gunsmiths. 

1820 Federal Census, Pennsylvania, Mifflin County, Lewistown
George Slaysman, age 30-40.

1840 Federal Census, Pennsylvania, Jefferson County, Young Township
George Slaysman, age 50-60.

1850 Federal Census, Pennsylvania, Jefferson County, Young Township, Punxsutawney
George Slaysman, age 68, occupation “Gun Smith”, b. PA; Ann, age 70; James M., age 4; C. McSparren, age 17.

1860 Federal Census, PA, Jefferson Co., Punxsutawney Boro, Brown’s Mill P.O., p. 126
George Slaysman, age 78, occupation “Gunsmith”, b. PA.
Note: Living in the household of C. S. Rees & Margareta Rees.   

Obituary; “Democratic Standard” Hollidaysburg, PA, Wednesday, August 20, 1862
“Died – At the residence of his son-in-law, Wm. Campbell, in Punxsutawney, Jefferson County, Pa., on the 11th inst., George Slaysman, aged 80 years, 4 months and 11 days.  (Huntingdon papers please copy.)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 09:41:11 PM »
Slaysman: URL added to ALR Library resource section
Thank you
Hurricane

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 12:01:29 AM »
Slaysman, Charles (1810-1876). gunsmith. Charles was born on 23 September 1810 in Lewistown, Mifflin County, a son of George Slaysman ( -1862). Charles was first noted in Indiana boro in 1850, living at a boarding house, probably awaiting the arrival of his family. 1860, Charles and Rebecca Slaysman had a son Charles, 19, and a daughter Rebecca, 15. 1860, Charles, 49, gunsmith, value $100; Rebecca, 34; 1860, Charles, value $500, with Rebecca, 45. 1876-77, Wiggins & McKillop’s Indiana Directory, gunsmith. The estate inventory was extensive, suggesting he was still active in his trade at the time of his death. His death was reported on 30 November 1876 in the Indiana Democrat.

Our community was shocked with the announcement made on Tuesday evening last, that Captain Charles Slaysman had died very suddenly at the house of Mr. Goodell near town.It appears about 10 o’clock on Tuesday Mr. Black on the Indiana House and Captain Slaysman started in a short hunt, going in the direction of St. Clair’s Mill, only about 2 miles from town. About 2 o’clock in the afternoon Mr. Black left his companion in the neighborhood of Harbison’s School House and came home. Atvthat time the Captain was in his usual health and remarked that he would hunt a couple of hours and be at home before night. This si the last that is known of him until about 4:30 when he came to the residence of Mr. Goodell, on the McClain farm, less than one-half mile from town. He sat on the porch until Mrs. Goodell or Miss McClain went out and invited him in. He took a seat near the stove to warm himself and complained of a terrible pain in the breast. The ladies at once done all that was in their power to relieve him. In a few minutes he laid down on a sofa and raising himself up in a sitting position he gave one or two short gasps for breath and fell over, dead. . . . He was born In Lewistown, Mifflin county, on the 23rd day of September 1810 and was aged 66 years, 2 months, and 5 days. We have known Captain Slaysman intimately for over 14 years. He was always a prominent character, in this community, and was beloved and respected by all, and more especially by those whom he had befriended. He was kind, benevolent, and liberal, and possessed of a tender hearty. . . . . The deceased was a charter member of the Palladium Lodge, No. 346, I.O.O.F., of Indiana; and was aslo a mermber of Champiola Tribe, I.O. of R.M.; and the Order of American Mechanics of Blairsville. . . .

Slaysman, George (1782-1862). gunsmith. George was born in Northampton County. 1805-23, Lewistown, Mifflin County; 1825-31, Woodberry Twp., Huntingdon County; 1832-62, Punxsutawney, Jefferson County. [Harriger, 28ff].