Author Topic: Rev War Canteen????  (Read 2876 times)

Offline gibster

Rev War Canteen????
« on: March 25, 2011, 07:06:44 PM »
I recently traded for this canteen that, from what I am told, could date anywhere from the Rev War period to the mid 1800's.  I know nothing about these things and am looking for opinions/facts on what I have.  I did find one that looks just like this one on eBay but is a little larger than mine that they said is a wagoneers canteen.  Any truth to that?   I think that they are asking an unrealistic price for it, but I really don't know.   Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.  I know that when you ask for opinions, that you are opening the door for things that you don't want to hear.  But that's OK.  I'm not in it so deep that can't recover from it if it is not what I was told.

The canteen is a little oblong shaped and measures 10-inches at the largest measurement, and is 5 1/4-inches deep.  The wood appears to be pine and has been cleaned at one time.  One of the bands is wood and the other is iron, probably a repair, but was done a long time ago.  There is only one "hanger" for a rope or strap to hold it.  It dosen't look like there ever was another one.  Here are a few pictures.

Offline Jerry V Lape

Re: Rev War Canteen????
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 07:28:28 PM »
Is there any documentation with this canteen?  Coopers made such items from antiquity right up to now, dating it would really require some significant scientific testing.  And most of it's value would be proving the age.

Offline gibster

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 09:38:02 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I have no documentation for the canteen.  You are right, the only way to really know the age is to test the wood.  But in reality, that holds true with anything that we collect.  I have seen longrifles that would appear to be from the late 18th or early 19th century, but were made in the past 20 years.  The same goes for powder horns or anything else that we choose to collect.  Based on that, all I can hope for is that decisions to buy or trade for an item, regardless of what it is, are done because the item has the correct "look and feel" for what it represents.  We just use our best judgement at the time.   Sometimes, experience is an expensive teacher, but that is part of the price for collecting.  Since this is the first canteen that I have owned, I would like the opinions of others that have owned/studied/collected them before.  I'm not into it very deep, so either way, I won't be upset.  I don't think that the gentleman that I got it from tried to misrepresent it to me, but you never know.  He said it was in his Aunt's family for a number of years and he really didn't know anything else about it, and I had no reason to doubt him.  Again, I appreciate the input but would like to hear from others that have owned/collected items like this to see what they think.

Offline Glenn

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 12:51:55 AM »
IMHO ... NICE TRADE !!!   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.