Author Topic: William horton Hobbs Alabama gun maker (pictures added)  (Read 4416 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
William horton Hobbs Alabama gun maker (pictures added)
« on: March 25, 2011, 07:36:21 PM »
I am trying to get a feel for price range for rifles built by this Alabama maker. Anybody know of any of his rifles that have sold lately and what hey went for? His family was located in Georgia when he was born and moved to the Talladega Alabama area sometime after 1830. He is ID'd in 1850 and 1860 census as a gunsmith in Talladega County.

The rifle I am looking at is a backaction caplock, probably built late in his life. It is a nice gun that does not appear to have been messed with to much.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 02:44:50 AM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: William horton Hobbs Alabama gun maker
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 09:42:06 PM »
Pictures please?
Hurricane

Offline Agent 006

Re: William horton Hobbs Alabama gun maker (pictures added)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 07:47:13 PM »
I too would like to hear some replies from collectors of Alabama rifles as I'm told they sell for a premium due to their relative rarity in the collector's market.  However, I've never owned one so I don't know.  Surely someone has an idea.
Jim

Offline Agent 006

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 07:47:21 PM »
I believe an Alabama made rifle was sold on ALR some months ago.  I have been unable to find it in the archives and wondered if it was comparable to the William Horton Hobbs rifle and what the selling price was.  I assumed someone would have some knowledge of the market for these pieces and could help Bama out.
Jim

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 03:55:41 AM »
Bama, as you know, deep South rifles (Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi) are relatively rare and one would expect them to bring a premium over similar quality guns which were made further north.  You may have as good an idea as anyone on here about the Alabama market.  Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Wayne Elliott

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 06:04:03 PM »
Thanks Wayne

I have found that being from Alabama does not make you an expert in much of anything, except maybe poisoning trees! But thanks for the vote of confidence.

It was nice to meet you at Princeton. I hope to make the Norris show in a few weeks, I hear that it is a good show.

Maybe I'll find somebody there that knows a little about southern guns!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:06:24 PM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 01:27:45 AM »
Great, Jim, I hope you can come see us at the Museum of Appalachia in Norris, Tn, April 22-23.  There will be one or two guys there who have at least seen a lot of Southern guns!
Wayne
Wayne Elliott