Author Topic: Southeast PA Gunsmith  (Read 2719 times)

buckskinner58

Southeast PA Gunsmith
« on: April 05, 2011, 10:32:25 PM »
Hi, I'm looking for anyone that might know about a gunsmith by the name of Absalom Daugherty. 1850 census puts him and his family in Schaefferstown, PA. Age listed as 50 years and occupation as gunsmith. Has anyone ever seen a signed gun by this man? Any info would be great.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Southeast PA Gunsmith
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 02:42:49 AM »
He's listed by Kauffman in Lebanon Co.

Daughaerty,Absalom 1842,Annville Lenanon Co. Gunsmith.(The Pennsylvania Kentucky Rifle pg.204)

buckskinner58

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 07:02:34 PM »
Thanks for posting that info, Mitch. I'm not sure if this fellow made guns or just repaired them. Last month(March) there was an auction at Conestoga Auction. Lot #578 was a percussion rifle in the upper Susquehanna style with the initials A.D. on the barrel and lock. Since 1843 put him in Annville and 1850 in Schaefferstown, he might have been moving south for the sunny weather. Conestoga attributed it to ?Adam Daniels? Not sure how to post a link, but you can still find the catalog with prices realized on Conestoga's website. Thanks again for your help Tall Bear. Regards, Tim Frederick

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 04:29:22 AM »
I once owned a rifle by Adam Daniels, and it was signed "A. Daniels" in script, not just with initials. Sounds like a different maker.