Author Topic: Another Hawken (fullstock)  (Read 19660 times)

WB Selb

Another Hawken (fullstock)
« on: March 27, 2011, 04:05:46 AM »
After seeing the interest generated by Mr. Sapergia's superb J&S halfstock Hawken and Ken Moors  nice Hawken "Squirrel rifle" I thought I would share my J&S Hawken fullstock percussion copy. The rifle is built around a new but vintage H&H tapered .54 cal. barrel, a Bob Roller lock, and Don Stith's J&S Hawken fullstock pattern and castings. The barrel is tapered from 1" at the breech and is 7/8" at the muzzle, it is 36" long, the rifle weighs in at 8 and 3/4 lbs. The fancy maple stock is finished dark with AF and is finished with my blend of linseed oil, beeswax and turpentine. The case colors are a bit brighter (I like it) than is generally believed to be on the originals but who knows how much they have faded in the past 175 years. Anyway, a number of viewers on this forum have asked about Hawken fullstock guns so here is my version; it is my 84th "Hawken" build.

Offline Old Ford2

Re: Another Hawken (fullstock)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 04:15:16 AM »
Sir,
You have this "Hawken" thing to a fine art!
Your working of the metal to yield the colors is outstanding, as well as the woodwork.
My compliments!
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 04:50:44 AM »
Nice looking gun WB, the trigger guard looks to have extra room for fingers which I like too, did they come that way from Don?

caliber45

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 05:26:57 AM »
WB -- Love that gorgeous coloration with the case hardening. Beautiful stuff. I wish the process wasn't so labor intensive. Makes my mouth water. Great job! -- paulallen, tucson az

WB Selb

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 05:28:49 AM »
Smylee,

Thanks. Yes that is a Stith trigger guard; if I am not mistaken, from an original 1838 J&S. I like the guard because I have big mitts and it gives a little leeway around the triggers; I have used it on several guns for people who have big hands/fingers and they all seem to like them. Don says there are three known originals with that guard.

razor62

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 05:31:00 AM »
Now that's an impressive 1st post!  Superb Rifle!!!

greybeard

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 05:37:34 AM »
Looks to me like some trapper just walked out the door of Sams shop with his brand new Hawken,.     Very nice indeed.  Bob

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 05:56:47 AM »
WB, I just went through Mr. Gordons museum and did in fact see at least one Hawken there with that trigger guard. Lots of stuff to see there and I only had a short time to spend so hope to make it back there next year. Again, nice gun and welcome to the fourm. Smylee

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 06:38:40 AM »
    I do believe that is one of the finest Hawken guns I have ever seen :o :o.  You did a fine job.    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 03:00:04 PM »
Very nice! I love the colors you got on the furniture.Thanks for the pics.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 07:04:03 PM »
Very nice rifle Ken.  Great wood to metal fit, and the case colours are quite spectacular.  I'd be very pleased with this rifle.  Thanks for showing it off.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

wetzel

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 07:17:13 PM »
Thanks for showing this rifle, you and many of this forums other members are such an inspiration to me.  Seeing the quality of your work motivates me to try harder and keep improving.  I want to build a fullstock hawken, so thanks for a great example.  The wood to metal fit is spectacular!

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 07:55:22 PM »
 I always like seeing Hawken rifles .
Your reference WB to the turpentine,beeswax and lindseed oil finish is of great interest .
Did  you use bee propolis in your mixture or just straight beeswax?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 09:45:10 PM »
Very nice. I like it :)
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

FRJ

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 10:58:23 PM »
Beautiful rifle!!!! A few questions please? I have  a similar set of triggers for the one I'm building now and am wondering what time frame they are appropriate to? Next you say the barrel is blue but in the photos it looks brown how or what did you blue it with? Last but not least, the case hardening is spectacular!!!!!!! Did you do it yourself or did you ship it out? I just love well done Hawkens's and this one is surely WELL done. Frank

WB Selb

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 12:21:27 AM »
FRJ,

I'm not sure where I have said the barrel is blued, it is not, it is browned. I discussed the barrel finish issue with Don Stith and we decided it was not inappropriate to brown the barrel. My inspiration for the color combo came from a set of James Purdey rifles made in 1855; the breeches and tangs were color case hardened and the barrels were browned; in my opinion, a very striking combination. Since it is generally believed that the Hawken brothers were heavily influenced by the English makers, it is not too big a leap of faith to believe it is a combo that was available from the Hawken shop, besides, I like it :). I do the polishing and prep work on the metal parts and job out the heat treating. The barrel, forend cap, thimbles, and trigger guard are browned, the breech, tang, trigger bar, butt plate and toe plate are color case hardened, the screws are case hardened and fire blued. As far as the appropriate triggers go, this is designed as a rifle that would have been available in the late 1830's. One thing I have learned about in my studies, there is much to learn and I have a long way to go and we should probably not use the terms "always" and "never" when discussing Hawken rifles.

Brant

Offline JDK

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 02:47:48 AM »
Beautiful rifle!!!  I, for one, have always liked the full stocked Hawkens.

Who did the color case hardening for you?  They certainly deserve allot of credit too.

Thanks for posting this fine piece.

J.D. Kerstetter
J.D. Kerstetter

FRJ

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 09:20:44 AM »
Brant, thank you so much for the reply!!!I to prefer brown over blue and have been conflicted due to others saying that the originals were blued. I like your answer and mine will be brown for sure now. Thanks again, Frank

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 11:57:31 AM »
Brant,

Beautiful Hawken! I love looking at pictures of your Hawken rifles and have had the pleasure of handling a couple of them when I've stopped in at Track of the Wolf. Very nice.

This one ought to be a pleasure to carry at only 8-3/4 lbs. Thanks for posting the pics.

Ted K

WB Selb

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 07:56:25 PM »
Gentlemen,

I would just like to take a minute to say thanks for the warm reception and kind words for this newbie. I'm pleased you like my rifle and appreciate my efforts; now I'm off the forum and back to the shop. ;D
Thanks again.

Brant

Big Hammer

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 02:12:11 AM »
This is my first post here, but I simply had to comment on this stunning Hawken by Brant Selb.  I have owned and hunted with Hawkens for over 35 years, and even built a couple myself.  However, this is just about the finest Hawken I have ever seen.  It is simply an outstanding example of gunsmithing by any standard.

Offline Glenn

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 02:57:13 AM »
Beautiful job to say the least.  I love those case colors just as they are !!!

And by all means ... WELCOME TO THE SITE !!!   ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:57:53 AM by GRA »
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 06:50:37 PM »
Beautiful rifle!!!  I, for one, have always liked the full stocked Hawkens.

Who did the color case hardening for you?  They certainly deserve allot of credit too.

Thanks for posting this fine piece.

J.D. Kerstetter

I have it on irrefutable authority that it was Wyoming Armory.

Dan

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Glenn

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 01:29:39 AM »
After seeing the interest generated by Mr. Sapergia's superb J&S halfstock Hawken and Ken Moors  nice Hawken "Squirrel rifle" I thought I would share my J&S Hawken fullstock percussion copy. The rifle is built around a new but vintage H&H tapered .54 cal. barrel, a Bob Roller lock, and Don Stith's J&S Hawken fullstock pattern and castings. The barrel is tapered from 1" at the breech and is 7/8" at the muzzle, it is 36" long, the rifle weighs in at 8 and 3/4 lbs. The fancy maple stock is finished dark with AF and is finished with my blend of linseed oil, beeswax and turpentine. The case colors are a bit brighter (I like it) than is generally believed to be on the originals but who knows how much they have faded in the past 175 years. Anyway, a number of viewers on this forum have asked about Hawken fullstock guns so here is my version; it is my 84th "Hawken" build.

WOW ... What a beautiful piece.  That's so cool looking I swear the case harden colors seem to blend with the curl of the wood.  Unbeleiveable !!!   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 10:56:17 AM »
Holy smokes,

Another fine example of why I stop by as often as I can!

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Handmade Custom Traditional Bows