Author Topic: Aperture sightsinformation needed  (Read 3341 times)

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
Aperture sightsinformation needed
« on: March 28, 2011, 02:49:12 AM »
IN deference to my eyesight, I am planning on putting a peep sight on my current build, and I could use some suggestions.

First question is, is it better close to your eye or farther away? I like the looks of those ladder type sights mounted back near the comb. but they look awfully flimsy. I am thinking something closer to the breach would be stronger.

Also, how do you decide what size aperture to use? Or is it best to have different sizes for different conditions?

Thanks

Dale H

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Aperture sightsinformation needed
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 04:45:58 AM »
Dale, is the gun going to be used strictly for target work? Will it be used for hunting? These things might influence your sight placement. Further back gives you the longer sight radius which should be more acurate. I have one sight with an adjustable aperature that is suposed to help you see better under different light conditions. Food for thought.   Smylee

FRJ

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 09:26:03 AM »
With an aperature the closer to your eye the better. As for aperature size remember that the ghost ring is now very popular because you get a lot of light thru it and that is great for hunting. I have several peep sighted center fire rifles and all of them have had the aperature removed and just sighted thru the threaded hole. Your eye will still center in the rear and put the front in the center of the hole without concous thought. Try it you'll like it. Frank

Naphtali

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:19:01 PM »
IN deference to my eyesight, I am planning on putting a peep sight on my current build, and I could use some suggestions.

First question is, is it better close to your eye or farther away? I like the looks of those ladder type sights mounted back near the comb. but they look awfully flimsy. I am thinking something closer to the breach would be stronger.

Also, how do you decide what size aperture to use? Or is it best to have different sizes for different conditions?

Thanks
Dale H
Welcome to my world. I have been migrating from 45-70 lever action rifles to .72-caliber muzzleloaders. Since my interest is hunting, and "correctness" of the look of my rifles is subordinated to their utility - so long as this does not become an eye sore - I find that Brockman's wing-protected adjustable aperture rear sight assembly and his wing-protected partially adjustable front sight assembly meet my aesthetic and utility needs.

Brockman's sights are extremely sturdy, and importantly, small and unobtrusive. While they do not disappear, to my eyes they do not seem inappropriate. Rear sight assembly can be mounted as far to the rear of breeched barrel as can occur. On rifles being built for me, if the patent breech is long enough, that's where the rear sight will mount. Otherwise, on the barrel just forward of breech.

Hope this helps.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 07:22:10 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I think I will make two or three different sized apertures for different situations.

Dale H

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 07:04:19 AM »
Dale,

I cut out a wooden rifle of appropriate dimensions to put sights on for testing to find out what would give me the best sight picture and where it would be best placed.  Just draw a siloutte of your rifle on a piece of one inch wood and  cut the outline.  I cut different rear sights out of a thin piece of brass with a bent up foot for fastening and made front sights with different beads, blades and dropped them into a small slot in the barrel end of the cutout.