Author Topic: Whiterocks, Utah St. Patrick's Day Shoot  (Read 6832 times)

Offline Herb

Whiterocks, Utah St. Patrick's Day Shoot
« on: March 28, 2011, 04:55:06 AM »
Terry and Dave Haney held their St.Patrick's Day shoot March 26, finally free of snow.  About 25 attended with  12 shooters.   There were 12 shots at about 30 yards, the targets being a running leprechaun (sliding down a wire), 3 gongs, a ricochet shot off an inside curved steel tank into a pot of gold, a shot through a 1" square hole in a steel plate at about 10 yards, a 4" water filled balloon on a plastic glass filled with water, then the glass, the 3 lobes of a shamrock and last ducklings about 1" in size on a log.  There was a tie for first place and four of us for second.  We shot for closest to center of a shamrock in the tie breaker, and I won that.  We had a good dinner of corned beef and cabbage, Irish whiskey, etc.  I gave for a blanket prize a copy of "The Peacemakers" by R.L. Wilson and won two packages of elk steaks and a package of elk burger, some leather and homemade horseradish sauce.

Carney Pace at left and Tyler in the red bandanna tied for first place and Carney won.  These were Tyler's first shots ever with a ML rifle!

Harry Harpoon, center and his sister Terry.

There were 13 flintlocks present, 3 left handed, and two percussion rifles.  The 3 on the left are mine, a .50, a .58 fullstock Hawken, another .50 still a-building, and Carole's .40 (which I built).  Then Lynn's .40, Harry's .62 Transitional Leman (whatever that is),and Brent's .62 smoothbore.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:16:17 PM by Herb »
Herb

KennyC

Re: Whiterocks, Utah St. Patrick's Day Shoot
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 05:28:53 AM »
Looks like fine shinning times with that cast of characters. Thanks for sharing

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 05:52:26 AM »
Aye, tis a fine looking bunch and some were even wearing green. Twas a fine thing that what yave done remembering us Irish in such a grand way.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 06:20:31 AM »
Thanks a lot for posting this Herb.  It looks like you all had a great time! :D   

Skychief!

Militant_Hillbilly

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 01:07:39 AM »
The guy third from the left in the top picture...I want his hat!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:08:00 AM by Militant_Hillbilly »

Offline Herb

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 07:15:55 AM »
What'll you give me for it?
Herb

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 06:27:33 PM »
TKs for posting, Herb.  It looks like 'a fine day ta be shootin', i-twas.

Offline Cobweb

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 07:58:09 PM »
Thanks for the report! It's always nice to hear what some of the targets were. I'm always looking for new ones to spring on the bunch at the club.
The ricochet shot sounds interesting.

Looks like a salty bunch!!  ;)
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody!

Offline heelerau

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 10:25:01 PM »
Typical Carney, a pewter pot in hand !! was NF there?

Cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Herb

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 07:34:36 AM »
Neill wasn't there, but his wife Lynn was, in the white right of center, holding her rifle.  Actually the guy with the pewter pot is my friend Carl, whose wife Carole runs the Josie .22 Shoot where you helped out.   I built Carl two rifles and am standing next to him.   Carney is the guy with the blue pants kneeling.  Harry Harpoon is Segundo at the Rocky Mountain Rendezvous coming up in  July.  Terry and Dave have their St. Patrick day shoot this Sunday, I hope to be able to go and  get more photos.
Herb

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 11:07:53 PM »
Neill wasn't there, but his wife Lynn was, in the white right of center, holding her rifle.  Actually the guy with the pewter pot is my friend Carl, whose wife Carole runs the Josie .22 Shoot where you helped out.   I built Carl two rifles and am standing next to him.   Carney is the guy with the blue pants kneeling.  Harry Harpoon is Segundo at the Rocky Mountain Rendezvous coming up in  July.  Terry and Dave have their St. Patrick day shoot this Sunday, I hope to be able to go and  get more photos.
Yes,   please                 more                                                More                                                       Helps us allllllllllllllll.                                               BEtternotspilllanymiorewkineonthiskeyboard...                            WOnderwhattosprayit                       with... ???

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 12:00:30 AM »
Nap-time, Roger.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 12:01:01 AM »
Herb,
Looks like Carney has put on a few pounds since I last saw him.  ( In retrospect, Carney's gotta be the kneeling guy in the center)  He and Jeanne were gracious hosts when I camped with them many years ago at the Rocky Mtn. National held at Polebridge.  Tell him TOF says Hey, the next time you see him.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:30:57 PM by T*O*F »
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline heelerau

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 10:26:11 PM »
Herb, thanks for the clarification, I enlarged the photo and see Carney squatting there, still reckon that is his pewter the chap I mistook him for is holding!! I now can place you as well, @!*% its been to long. How far is Whiterocks from VernaL? I was on night shift for St Pats, so no guinnes and no powder to burn!!

Cheers

Gordon ;D
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 03:29:57 PM »
Herb,
Looks like Carney has put on a few pounds since I last saw him.  ( In retrospect, Carney's gotta be the kneeling guy in the center)  He and Jeanne were gracious hosts when I camped with them many years ago at the Rocky Mtn. National held at Polebridge.  Tell him TOF says Hey, the next time you see him.

Yep. Kneeling.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine