Author Topic: Conner Prairie  (Read 7095 times)

Offline Ezra

Conner Prairie
« on: October 20, 2008, 04:59:17 AM »
Just got back from the Conner Prairie gun assembly class with Jim Chambers and Mike Brooks.  All I can say is AWESOME.  Great guys, very knowledgable and very helpful.  I got my Smooth Rifle about 90% complete.  Just a great, great class and the Missus and I will be going every year now to some class at Conner Prairie.  Got to meet Hershel House, John Schippers and Jim Klein as well.  Oh, and thanks to Barbie for everything.

Ez
(Loren)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 05:00:08 AM by Ezra »
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Conner Prairie
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 03:30:47 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Firelock

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 12:52:02 AM »
I was in the knife and axe making class with Hershel House and Melvin Lytton. Was a lot of fun for my first time in front of a forge. Pictures can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/connerprairie/

Offline Ezra

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 01:14:01 AM »
Hershel House and Melvin Lytton in the same room...what a hoot!  Hope you had as good a time as we did.  Mama took the bag making class from Ken Scott.

Ez

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 02:09:10 AM »
We always hope that folks have not only a productive time while at Conner Prairie but a fun time as well.  Over the years of teaching there I have gained many good friendships and several pounds (They feed too good there.)  Hopefully, we can continue to teach and inspire new craftsmen and artists with the classes.  If you like taking classes there be sure and let the administration at Conner Prairie know how important the workshop is to everyone.  That will go a long way toward insuring the classes will continue.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 02:51:01 AM »
  If you like taking classes there be sure and let the administration at Conner Prairie know how important the workshop is to everyone.  That will go a long way toward insuring the classes will continue.

Just shot them an e-mail.

Ez

Firelock

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 05:29:00 AM »
Hershel House and Melvin Lytton in the same room...what a hoot!  Hope you had as good a time as we did.  Mama took the bag making class from Ken Scott.

Ez

Hershel was the Gentleman and Melvin was the Jester/Scholar. I was very happy with their instruction. I hope I can sign up for next year because 5 days is not enough.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 04:31:16 AM by Firelock »

Kentucky Jeff

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 05:58:42 AM »
It was  my second year.  I took the engraving class this year and was very pleased with the skills I picked up.    I can't wait to get one of my guns out and scratch it up!

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 03:08:46 PM »
This was my first time at Connor Prairie and I greatly enjoyed the week and meeting some of the ALR members. John Schippers is a gifted instructor who is very effective at de-mystifying engraving basics. Although I did not make a lot of progress in actual engraving, at least I now understand how to do it and will hopefully make a lot of progress at home.

Here are a few pix:

Schippers' display of original and contemporary guns

part of the engraving class

kit building class (Jim Chambers and Mike Brooks)

Jim Klein's carving class

All the best
Paul

Offline Kermit

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 03:25:20 AM »
 :'( Boy, do I live in the WRONG part of the country!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 04:01:56 AM »
:'( Boy, do I live in the WRONG part of the country!
Kermit, 
I see from your profile that you reside in Whidby's Isle.  Can I assume you are talking about Widbey Island, Wa.?  If so, you are more fortunate then you might think.  We have a unique pocket of gunbuilders here in the Pacific North West.  Between Washington State, Oregon and now Montana, we manage to have several gunmakers fairs a year.  If you are interested in getting into the swing of things do not hesitate to condact me directly.  We have had the likes of Jack Brooks, George Suiter, Mark Silver, Brian Lamaster and Ken Scott attend our fairs.  In fact, Ian Pratt has just accepted our invitation for our August 2009 conclave.  We also have a great winter workshop that we are finalizing the detail;s on.  Sorry I hi-jacked this thread.
DMR 

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 02:42:02 PM »
   Washington doesn't seem to be too far away. I think there were at least three people from Washington at Connor Prairie for the classes. They also discussed the very active gun building scene in the Northwest.

Here's a picture of John Schippers explaining the design of the "pine tree" border.

For those of you who haven't seen John's work, here are two pieces he "knocked out" during the class

All the best

Paul

Offline tim crowe

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 04:26:15 AM »
Paul ,

The pictures look great.

Tim

Offline Ezra

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 05:16:20 AM »
I hope to take Mr. Schippers class next year.

Ez