Author Topic: Kentucky Gunsmiths  (Read 5065 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Kentucky Gunsmiths
« on: March 29, 2011, 04:01:06 AM »
I've just read a great article on the Kentucky Longrifles website.  I am SUPER interested and intrigued by the Lehigh Valley guns, BUT my heritage is from Kentucky.  I have always considered Kentucky rifles to be made in the NE, to send to the frontier of Kentucky, but am finding out other wise.

Where can I find out more about Kentucky Gunsmiths and see more examples of their work.

Your kind help is greatly appreciated.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Curt J

• member 2
Re: Kentucky Gunsmiths
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 05:10:45 AM »
One of our members, Shelby Gallien, has been working on a book on Kentucky makers for a number of years.  It is very near completion, and should be in print fairly soon.  I'm anxious to get my hands on one too. I have owned several Kentucky-made rifles over the years.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 05:29:51 AM »
A two-volume book titled "Kentucky Gunmakers" will go to the printer in about 30-45 days, with availability about 60-90 days after then. The book covers all known state of Kentucky gunmakers, about a thousand plus entires, with many photos of guns made from about 1790 to 1900, all from Kentucky. Eight different schools of gunmaking within Kentucky have been identified. Both volumes are completed (about 400 pages each), and we are currently wrapping up the insertion of additional photos of guns and related items on chapter end-sheets that have open space. It is a large format book similar in size to the Shumway longrifle books. The book should answer many questions about Kentucky's early gunmaking, how to identify unmarked KY guns, and how eastern states, particularly Virginia and North Carolina, played a key role in shaping Kentucky'e early gunmaking traditions. Shelby Gallien

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 03:05:17 PM »
Curt and Shelby,

Thanks so much for the response.  That's exactly what I'm after. 

Who would be handling the sales? Where do I get in line??

Really looking forward to seeing them.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 05:15:05 PM »
I'm looking forward to getting a copy of that book myself, it sounds like a significant study on Kentucky made longrifles.

FK
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:17:14 PM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 04:04:25 PM »
I have one Kentucky Kentucky, made by Sanford P'Pool, Breckinridge County, Kentucky. Iron trigger guard & buttplate, brass sideplate & thimbles. Light incised lines. Converted to percussion - in which condition I will leave it - still has the little brass tube under the cheekpiece, to hold a feather or whatever for the vent. Had been brought up from Kentucky to the Ohio show in Columbus, in those days gone by. Traveled in the bed of a truck. Jerry Kirklin (retired now) did a fine job of removing the toothpicks & friction tape that held it together, then civilizing the forestock. At least one P'Pool should be in Gallien's book.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 04:13:38 PM »
Would love to see photos of that one - Kentucky gunsmiths are sparse in the Virtual Museum!  ;)

Guy
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 04:13:59 PM by G-Man »

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 12:13:36 AM »
Jim, Regarding the Stephen and Sanford P. Pool rifles, there are three pictured Pool rifles, including yours from the time you came down to visit. I picked up a nice one by son Sanford late last year, fancy half-stock with interesting inlay work, but too late to get into the book. But if enough interesting stuff pops out of the woodwork after the book gets out, there's always the possiblity of vol. III.  Shelby

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 01:20:07 AM »
Shelby, I'm about to that point with Illinois-made guns.  Some of the best and most interesting guns have come to light since my books were published. I also have about sixty more gunsmiths....on top of the over 1,550  listed in Vol. I & II of GUNMAKERS OF ILLINOIS, 1683-1900