Author Topic: New????? Target for a match!!!  (Read 8520 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

New????? Target for a match!!!
« on: October 20, 2008, 09:25:41 PM »
Shot at Langhorne yesterday and in addition to eggs and apples hanging on at string at 50 yds 3 shots for a dollar hit 1egg and 1 apple to win a pie. They also used a floor vac on exhaust in a black box with a ping pong ball hanging on a cord over the air blast to bounce around a dollar a shot offhand at 25 yds for a rib eye roast.

I doubt if there is a patent on such 'fun' matches and might be a good idea for other clubs to try!!! ;)

Offline Paddlefoot

Re: New????? Target for a match!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 12:11:33 AM »
That sounds like a real hoot.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 02:07:34 AM »
Roger, I follow your posts about going to shoots but have never replied.  Where are you finding these shoots?  Sounds like you are having a little too much fun on the weekends.
                                                           Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 02:56:51 AM »
Roger, I follow your posts about going to shoots but have never replied.  Where are you finding these shoots?  Sounds like you are having a little too much fun on the weekends.
                                                           Brian
You have a friend in Pennsylvania :D
There is a shoot nearly every weekend at least Sundays nearly all yr in E Pa.  This coming Fri and Sat we shoot at Jacobsburg (The Henry Rifle Co Homestead) Then Sunday a small shoot at a club called Garage Rats!! (Don't ask!)

You can get to a certain age that you have to 'get' it while you can 8)

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 07:31:48 AM »
We shot raw eggs perched on golf tees, every 5 yards back from about 15 yards to 50 or 60 yards.  Seems to me Taylor won that one with his Kuntz flinter. (he was probably shooting slugs or shot or sabots!)  Mark H. was first loser. I was probably 15th loser (scored backwards from the front, of course).

BrownBear

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 08:09:24 AM »
I'm fond of ice cubes.  Impressive white halo when you hit them, and no mess to clean up when you're through.  Just make up a bunch and keep them in a cooler by the target butts.  You can make different sizes for different ranges.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 04:41:32 PM »
I'm fond of ice cubes.  Impressive white halo when you hit them, and no mess to clean up when you're through.  Just make up a bunch and keep them in a cooler by the target butts.  You can make different sizes for different ranges.
Now thats darn interesting!!  What do you stand them on or in or how do you hang them??? 

Oh yeah do you have that idea copywrited? ;D

BrownBear

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 04:48:56 PM »
We just balance them on the end of stakes or lay them on the ground- real informal.  Nice thing about ice, you could cast them any shape you want.  For hanging you'd have to cast in a ring or a hole, but that shouldn't be a problem.  If you wanted to go small, you could buy bags of the ones that are basically hollow tubes- call it "predrilled."  I've used styro cups to cast larger ones, and it would be pretty easy to stand something in the cup to make holes.  Cheap plastic ice cube trays from a yard sale could simply have nails driven up through the bottom.

You have to understand that we're in a real remote coastal area with few people and lots of space, but here's another target we're fond of.  Clam shells.  We've got beaches with windrows of them along the high tide line.  Just stand them on edge in the sand and it's shooting time.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 06:07:50 PM »
We just balance them on the end of stakes or lay them on the ground- real informal.  Nice thing about ice, you could cast them any shape you want.  For hanging you'd have to cast in a ring or a hole, but that shouldn't be a problem.  If you wanted to go small, you could buy bags of the ones that are basically hollow tubes- call it "predrilled."  I've used styro cups to cast larger ones, and it would be pretty easy to stand something in the cup to make holes.  Cheap plastic ice cube trays from a yard sale could simply have nails driven up through the bottom.

You have to understand that we're in a real remote coastal area with few people and lots of space, but here's another target we're fond of.  Clam shells.  We've got beaches with windrows of them along the high tide line.  Just stand them on edge in the sand and it's shooting time.
I'll have a high level meeting (with myself) and proceed!  Thanks for the idea.
And free is good! ;D

Funny that you mention 'clams' (shells that is) that is going in to our Nov. primative agg!
They have that nice little corner to hang the wire hook in to!  (35 yds)

And one more time - free is good.  All we have to do is pick them up outside our clubhouse door! ::)

BrownBear

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 06:21:02 PM »
Here's our "game" with the clam shells.  No prizes, but challenges for shooters of all skill levels:

Set up a row of shells for each shooter- five, three, or one, your pick.  Start shooting at a comfortable distance for everyone.  Maybe 20 yards or so. 

Hit all of yours in as many shots?  Set up another row of shells 5 yards further back and do it again.

Pretty quick everyone is handicapped for their own shooting abilities, reaching a point that they can almost get all of them, but not quite.  You might end up with clam shells at 25, 40 and 60 yards, but everyone is challenged equal to their skill levels.  If matching skill levels isn't an issue and you need to announce a winner, whoever's clams are furthest back is the winner.  Bring lots of powder, balls and patches cuzz these shoots can go on for hours and never get boring.

Ohioan

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 08:16:01 PM »
all you need to do for the ice is stick a string in the water when you put it in the freezer.  No need to have holes or anything.

BrownBear

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 09:46:09 PM »
Outstanding!

I couldn't see the forest for the trees.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 10:39:37 PM »
all you need to do for the ice is stick a string in the water when you put it in the freezer.  No need to have holes or anything.
@!*% ! And here I was wracking my ol noggin trying to dope out how to drill a chunk of ice to shove a wire hook' intaet'  Boy am I glad for your guys' help! ;D

So now we have another 'primative' target worked out!

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 01:28:25 AM »
Thanks for the ice cube tip. I'm going to use it at our next shoot. Best [ well, sort of ] is that we probably won't even need to pack a cooler!  It is that time of year ;D

Jeff Peters

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 02:54:31 PM »
Rodger,
And a little food coloring in the ice can make them interesting as well
Now I'm going to have to try this. Easier than trying to find the golf balls I've been shooting. The @!*% things go 100 yrds when hit right

Jeff

BrownBear

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 04:26:17 PM »
The color would be helpful if air temp rises while you're on the range.   The darned things go clear, and those of us with fogey eyes have trouble seeing them!