Author Topic: new vs. old  (Read 10293 times)

YORKTOWNE54

new vs. old
« on: April 01, 2011, 02:47:25 AM »
Always wondered how many flinters you guys own vs. centerfires? And how often you shoot them both?

Daryl

Re: new vs. old
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 03:20:32 AM »
Flinters (or perhaps a cap now and then) get used most every week - generally at least once a week, that is, all year.

The modern stuff takes a distant back seat - many rounds in May RF and CF - again CF in Sept prior to hunting - maybe - things have changed the last few years- doing less and less shooting with modern guns.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 05:34:37 AM »
I shoot more sporting clays with modern shotguns than anything by far.  But when it comes to rifles my modern rifles seldom get shot anymore and the flintlock goes elk hunting again this fall.  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 05:35:50 AM by Jerry V Lape »

jim moore

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 02:11:42 PM »
Been hunting with a flintlock only for 29 yrs.
Modern guns I own are the ones pass down to me
but have no interest in shooting them.
Have 22 pistol I use for trapping.
Have a sharps 45-70 ,shot  10 blackpowder rounds out
of it .  Fun but not for me, selling it to help pay for
another flinter.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 03:36:39 PM »
I have used flintlocks almost exclusively when hunting, for about the last 15 years. Before that I was in my Sharps period  ;D  usng everything from 40-70 to a 50-90  . My main hunting rifle during that time [ 5 or6 years ] was a 50-70 carbine.   The 50-70 gave me the performance I was looking for ,especially when I went to a .30 meplate bullet [flat nose].  It was my moose gun, but last year I built a .62 Edward Marshall
from Chambers, so have all hunting bases covered by flinters now ;D

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 04:04:51 PM »
What little bit I hunt it is with flintlock. The only modern firearm I use is my .22 pistol and I mostly shoot it during the winter pistol league. I have equal amounts of modern rifles to flintlocks, but the modern ones just collect dust. Pretty to look at but rarely ever used. I do carry a .357 mag. w/shot shells while riding ATV... snake tamer. All I shoot during the summer is flint at our monthly shoots and a couple days at the range, just blowin smoke.
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

roundball

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 04:25:22 PM »
Always wondered how many flinters you guys own vs. centerfires? And how often you shoot them both?
Have gradually sold off a lifetime accumulation centerfire rifles, scopes, shells, reloading equipment, etc...as well as all centerfire hunting shotguns...I kept .410 & .28ga skeet guns plus a .12ga trap gun but haven't used them in about 10 years.
Instead I exclusively use several Flintlocks year round in various calibers & gauges for weekend fun shooting and all my hunting...turkey, deer, squirrels, doves, crows, etc...

Offline Kermit

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 06:03:19 PM »
The centerfire inventory is way reduced from what it used to be. Most of my shooting is either flinters or air pistols. There are 5 flint and 2 percussion in the safe. The flinters are .25, 2 at .50 (one is smooth), a .54, and a 20ga. There's a .40 flint rifle in the works. The percussions are a 12ga single underhammer and my .54 chunk gun. I can't remember the last time I fired a centerfire.

I'd say that the .50 flint rifle gets the most range use, although the chunk gun is right up there. The .54 flinter is my hunting rifle--shortest rifle barrel at 42".
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 11:48:31 PM »
I haven't hunted with a modern gun in years.  It's not unusual for a year or two to go by without me even shooting one.  I sold off most of them to have flintlocks built and that's all I hunt with now.  I'm about to start shooting them a little at the range just to keep them happy.  At last count I had six flints (counting one pistol) and four percussion guns so I have mostly muzzleloaders in my stable.  I shoot them at least weekly depending on the weather.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

david50

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 12:05:03 AM »
other than a couple of old Stevens shotguns and a JC Higgens .22,all of which my grampa gave me,i sold off all my modern guns several years ago. just not as much fun to shoot as the flinters.

tuffy

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 12:24:35 AM »
Flintlocks and percussions is all that I own. The wife has an old Mossburg M151 with a Manlicher stock that her Dad passed down to her when he left us for the better world. I do shoot a flatbow if that counts.  ;D

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 02:46:28 AM »
I shoot the .270 one shot bench prior to the Pa high powder buck season, then drag it around in the bush/brush a cople or 3 days w/o pointing it at anything.  Few bucks around here.

Now the ML gun and rifles are a different story.  I'll simply say I shoot them a lot and leave it at that.... ;D

KennyC

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 03:42:45 AM »
I have a 30/30 that my Dad bought me when I was sixteen and a single shot 22 got from Gram pa when I was 12.  I am now pushing  60 where that went I don't know. lol Bought my first m/l in 1978 and now own 3 flint long  rifles 1 flint smooth bore and 2 cussion rifles.The last time  I  shot a modern gun was in 1979.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 03:55:08 AM »
Got 3 flinters an 2 percussion an 3 centerfires. the flints get shot nearly every weekend the percs about twice a year an the centerfires have not been shot in yrs. I just like huntin an shootin the flinters so much better an really cant explain why?
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 05:05:40 AM »
I got bit bad by the Flintlock bug about 10 years ago. the building of them has made it far worse! I do shoot a .22 RF in a silhouette match out to 200 yds once a month. That is a kick. I have about given up Sporting Clay and used to burn through 12,000 rounds a year. The black powder is all I hunt with now. Right now I have a .50, .54, .58 in rifles and a .62 Fowler as well as a .50 pistol all of them are Flint, all long barrels. I have sold a few I have built to friends but mostly build for myself. I really enjoy the Black Powder Matches and the people I have met with the sport. I have plans to build two every winter so the list will continue I hope. I have two gun safes full of center fire and modern shotguns I haven't touched in years. Addictive to say the least. Bob

Dave K

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 05:14:56 AM »
I am not sure how many a guy needs. But I do enjoy my c-fires also. The season will be here soon for ground hog hunting, so the varmint c-fire rifles will get used. Though, I have used the flinters as well, depending on where I am hunting. I do own big game c-fires, it has been over 10yrs. now, since I went to another state to hunt with them. Big game here will be with the flinter, but there is a perc. or 2 here as well. Usually the bow gets used for that though. I do shoot trap and sporting clays with c-fire shotguns, but also with SxS flint and perc. I have not hunted though in years with a modern shotgun, just the flinters and perc. shotguns. Squirrel hunting is usually only with a flinter, though the old Sheets 33 cal. perc. may get out once a year. Plinking is when ever time and weather permint. Sometimes when things are right, it may be every day :), then there are periods when it is a long dry spell. LIKE THIS DARN WINTER! :(

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 06:02:28 AM »
Don't understand why they even bothered inventing anything else after the flintlock came along.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

roundball

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 03:04:23 PM »
Yeah...speaking only for myself once I got my first one, everything else became irrelevant for me...hung on to caplocks for a few years "just in case"...took one to the range a couple times during the next couple years and halfway through the second range trip I knew I was just going through the motions and wasting money...packed everything up and went home...sold them all off during the next several months.

I suspect its a combination of things like age, some been there/done that with all the other firearms, the uniqueness and challenge of Flintlocks, the connection to the past hunting with Flintlocks like our ancestors, etc...I reached a point where if I was going to shoot or hunt anything with a firearm, it would only be with a Flintlock.

11 years now and still excited about starting turkey season next Saturday with a new .62cal Virginia...meanwhile, a beautiful .12ga Remington 1187 Premiere trap gun...which would be sudden death on turkeys...just lays in its case
 ;D

David G

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 04:20:37 AM »
What's a centerfire? ???

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 04:57:03 AM »
I will hunt mostly with a flinter except when I think I might have a chance at a Lion or Coyote, then I will have one of those geewiz loudenboomer guns.  I also keep a 1911 or two on the nitestand. Just got back from my first walk through of my new property and carried my 45 just in case one of those vermin was hanging out in one of the vacent buildings.

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 08:03:31 PM »
Dave I think that's where the fire squirts out tha center of tha hole...Maybe?
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline Kermit

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 08:50:17 PM »
I thought it might be what's in the middle of a tipi?  :-\
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

northmn

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 09:06:48 PM »
Too many guns so little chance to use them.  My other interest is in lever guns and cast bullets.  I have a 30-30 that has seen a few deer, got my 38-55 back and have a 32-20 and 357 although the 357 may go down the road. Another is a classic 300 Savage whcih is an antique in its own right.  I have been selling off a few modern guns like my 270 as they are no fun.  A lot of my satisfaction comes from shooting cast in "modern" rilfes.  I do a lot of hunting with modern shotguns, but have found the fowlers to be satisfying also.  Pheasant field are getting larger and the grouse trails longer. I also enjoy shooting double hammer shotguns in BP loads. I have not shot a squirrel with anything but a flintlock for many years as a modern 22 is too efficient.  I am now using my little 25 but have used a couple of 32's started with a 45 and have used a 40.  Went deer hunting last year with my flintlock and saw nothing while carrying it.  On the last week I shot a smaller deer with the 300 Savage over a field.  Would have been a very tough shot with a ML.  What I shoot depends on what mood I am in at the time. Sometimes it is nice to fill the pocket with cartridges and go out and shoot a bit and others to grab the hunting bag and shoot. 

DP

JohnnyM

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 06:09:53 PM »
I've  hunted more with my .54 flintlock then any other long arm for the past decade or so even in the "regular" huntin' season; recently I acquired a sweet 1940's vintage Model 94 Winchester in .30-30 with no modifications and it is a pleasure to take in the woods and kills deer fer sure.  It's catching up to the flintlock.
I also love my original Model 1892 Win in .44-40 though haven't attempted to take it huntin' yet.

Love bird huntin' and stick with "modern" guns like my vintage Ithaca hammer gun with pristine twist barrels or my Parker VH 12 ga on a No.1 frame.
When it comes down to the nitty gritty do or die sans romance, I'll grab my 1911.

Regards,
Johnny

eagle24

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 07:52:33 PM »
I presently own 1 centerfire rifle, 1 rimfire rifle, and 3 flintlocks.  I shot my centerfire rifle at the range last year for the first time in 4 or 5 years.  Shoot my .22 a few times every year plinking or with kids.  In the last 10 or 12 years all my hunting has been with a bow or flintlock.  I have many pistols and revolvers and shoot them on occasion, but far and away when I have time to shoot it is a flintlock for me.