Author Topic: First longbeard with my new Caywood  (Read 7629 times)

Offline wattlebuster

First longbeard with my new Caywood
« on: April 02, 2011, 09:20:56 PM »
Been bad turkey weather most of this season ( cool & wet ) but this morning was perfect warm an sunny. This longbeard just gobbled once but he was in working range an a few soft calls is all it took an he came in to 30 yrds strutting an drumming. I let him have a load of #4s out of my Caywood 12 ga English game gun that I built from a kit. It shoots a great pattern an the lock is very fast an Danny Caywood done a great job on jug choking the barrel. This is the first longbeard for this gun which I have named wattlebuster. The 2 knotheads behind the bird is my grandsons Cade & Cole. They are just jakes right now but they will make fine longbeard hunters in a few more years. The load that I finally found for this shotgun is 100 gr of ffg  pushing 1 ½ oz of #4s.  A felt overpowder wad an 1 overshot card an it will get  er done out to 40 yrds.  Good luck to all this season
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Daryl

Re: First longbeard with my new Caywood
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 10:12:55 PM »
Congrats - a strikingly beautiful stock on that gun, wattlebuster. Way to go! - 3 3/4drams with 1 1/2oz.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 03:25:50 AM by Daryl »

roundball

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 10:29:04 PM »

This longbeard just gobbled once...

...and for all time !!

That's outstanding in every way it can be measured Watts...from the build to the load development to the hunt...and excellent journey with excellent results !!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:35:31 PM by ' roundball ' »

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 10:51:40 PM »
Daryl  It patterned best with 1 felt overpowder an 1 overshot card.  It also shot very good with 120 grs of fg
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Glenn

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 11:46:37 PM »
A very big congratulations to you.  Obviously his one last "gobble" will last a long, long time.   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 03:28:32 AM »
Good loads - no overpowder 1/8" card, then, just a felt over the powder and a tin "B" overshot wad.  It pays to pattern your gun, that's for sure.

120gr. is just under 4 1/2 drams.

KennyC

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 04:21:48 AM »
Great looking knotheads o yea nice flower

Offline Cobweb

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 06:58:12 AM »

Congratulations!! Nice Job! Nice story!
I'm hoping to pattern my smooth bore this week for the up coming turkey season.
I have a couple of deer with it and would like to take a turkey.
Congratulations again!!
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody!

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 04:24:44 PM »
Congrats!  But you're driving me nuts, our season doesn't open until the 18th.    >:(
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline pulaski

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 11:06:50 PM »
In my humble opinion there is no greater reward than busting a turkey with your smoothbore .
Congratulations !!
Our season starts on the 13th , and I'm looking forwared to it .
Steve

northmn

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 11:23:52 PM »
Nice looking gun, great sounding experience.  Don't have any turkeys I can shoot in my neck of the woods. 

DP

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 04:28:24 AM »
There is no better time machine then that few seconds from the time the flint hits the frizzen and the time the smoke clears. Early morning in the turkey woods is so special. Our Season opens on the 25th here in Ontario. Thanks for sharing the photos and story.
AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

Offline Skychief

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 04:47:20 AM »
Outstanding wattlebuster!   Beautiful smoothie too! :D

Online Frank Barker

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 06:37:40 AM »
MMM MMMM, Allen, I can almost taste that turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy and dressing. Congratulations on your successful hunt and it is so much more pleasing when the kill was made with a gun you built yourself. I see you have a couple of up and coming hunters as I know Granddad will have them in camos very soon. That pouch looks very familiar, I think I have seen it before somewhere. Our season opens here in West Virginia the 25 th of April and I hope I'm as successful as you have been........Kind Regards  Frank

Mike R

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 03:34:51 PM »
Nice gun, nice turkey and two nice kids!  Congrats! Turkeys are scarce around here, but I got out last week for half a day and called all over the place with no luck--after it started getting hot and my 66 yr-old bones started to get tired, I decided to call it quits...started to walk towards the nearest dirt road to circle back to my vehicle...I don't know who was more surprised, me or the lone turkey that I ran into in very open woods.  I didn't see a beard, so I let it run off unmolested.  Such is turkey hunting sometimes! 

Offline pulaski

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 05:05:25 AM »
Dpeck ,
If you face north and turn right , it shouldn't take too long to make it over here .
Got 480 acres to chase them on .
Steve

JohnnyM

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 06:11:43 PM »
Weeelllp, now's I knows why ye called Wattlebuster!  Nice photos!

Regards,
Johnny