Author Topic: building a double barrel flintlock  (Read 17518 times)

camerl2009

building a double barrel flintlock
« on: April 04, 2011, 02:18:24 AM »
ok so im getting stared on this double got to hone out the bores of the barrels i got from Taylor

will update with pic's i hope  ::)

so starting off im using damascus twist barrels i'll upload my pic's soon

taylor got a good one of the pattern so i'll use that

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: building a double barrel flintlock
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 02:39:36 AM »
Cam, you got a nice set of very clean barrels.  It should turn into a very nice flint double.  Take your time and plan all the steps.  Start with a blueprint drawing with as much detail as you can think of.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

greybeard

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 04:09:14 AM »
Way to go Cam. Keep us poster with lots of pics as you go, O K ??
Cheers   Bob

SuperCracker

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 06:34:15 PM »
Very anxious to see this progression. 

I have a set of 14ga barrels and before bird season I hope to make them into a dbl flinter so that i can miss quail and disappoint my dog with a bit more elegance.

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 06:38:41 PM »
For anyone wanting to commit the time and learning curve that goes with building a flint double, I would strongly recommend buying Bill Brockway's "Recreating the Muzzle Loading Flintlock Shotgun".  It deals well with all the aspects of the build that will be a mystery to the first time builder of one of these cool guns.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 06:44:46 PM »
For anyone wanting to commit the time and learning curve that goes with building a flint double, I would strongly recommend buying Bill Brockway's "Recreating the Muzzle Loading Flintlock Shotgun".  It deals well with all the aspects of the build that will be a mystery to the first time builder of one of these cool guns.

I picked up a copy years ago and its a good investment. Never made a double shotgun or even a SXS Kentucky but I am being threatened with latter by a friend.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

SuperCracker

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 06:49:29 PM »

I picked up a copy years ago and its a good investment.
Dan

x2

I got it also and it has lots of really good info about all aspects, not only the stuff specific to doubles.  I just got really lucky (I think) with my barrels and don't want to build with them til I'm better at what I'm doing and can make a gun that will do them justice.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 07:32:37 PM »
I agree with Taylor's assesment of Brockways book! Even if you "think" you know how to build one...read the book first! There is a lot more to it than meets the eye. I was extremely proud of the outcome of mine, thanks to the book. 8)
Tom C.

Offline Captchee

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 03:19:22 AM »

I would also agree.
Mr Brockway has alot of very good info in there  that if followed will  give anyone with reasonable skill , a good  outcome .
 its also a great complementary book for any of the other rifle books IMO

camerl2009

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 05:50:27 PM »
well i need a new set of barrels it seems that one of the welds near the muzzle is not intact any more dam dam dam  >:(

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 06:04:43 PM »
What happened Cam?
D. Taylor Sapergia

camerl2009

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 06:11:09 PM »
What happened Cam?

nothing i was cleaning them up a bit more and then i need that the weld was cracked its about 6" from the muzzle
this sucks big time

Offline Captchee

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 06:26:56 PM »
so whats the issue ?
 is the barrel itself cracked or is the rib just lose ?
 if its the barrel , well then ya your done . but if its just a rib , well then you learn to reset the rib . yes its a pain  in the back side . but  think of it as just another aspect in your learning

camerl2009

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 06:28:57 PM »
so whats the issue ?
 is the barrel itself cracked or is the rib just lose ?
 if its the barrel , well then ya your done . but if its just a rib , well then you learn to reset the rib . yes its a pain  in the back side . but  think of it as just another aspect in your learning

the barrel cracked the rib is solid still well theres my money gone to waste

camerl2009

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 06:34:51 PM »
hmm i could get some 4130 seamless tubing and bore out the barrels to 3/4" and reline it i just fount some 3/4" od .620 ID tubing that would work ok  :-\

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 06:40:18 PM »
Can you post a picture of the cracked barrel?
John
John Robbins

camerl2009

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 06:46:23 PM »
John

i'll try but its small

Offline Captchee

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 06:46:49 PM »
John

agreed. could you post a photo . its very hard for me to  picture a weld cracking on  the type of barrel  you have shown

camerl2009

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 07:31:56 PM »
John

agreed. could you post a photo . its very hard for me to  picture a weld cracking on  the type of barrel  you have shown

its damascus twist barrels not uncommon to find cracks in the welds all it means is it had a inclusion in the weld and over time it cracked nothing you can do but scrap the barrels becuse if it had one it may have more that you cant see

camerl2009

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 07:41:18 PM »
if worse comes to worse i'll unsolder the ribs and the rest of barrels and heat the crack to a good heat and tap weld it back in place  :-\

i think i may just do that thin steel a blow torch may just do it my forge is still in bit's so cant use that  ;D

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 08:58:15 PM »
If you are able to reweld /tap it back into place on a finished shotgun barrel, there's nothing you can learn from me !

Offline Captchee

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 10:02:30 PM »
John

its damascus twist barrels not uncommon to find cracks in the welds all it means is it had a inclusion in the weld and over time it cracked nothing you can do but scrap the barrels becuse if it had one it may have more that you cant see

:-X
ok , im done ,
good luck to you .

camerl2009

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 01:23:15 AM »
well im in these barrels for $150 with shiping i want to protect my investment as i can realy afford to buy a new set  right now

so i have 1 of 2 things to do

1. reline them to 20ga with seamless aircraft tubing(i would need a reamer thats $40 + shiping)

or 2. take them apart and reweld it that would be free becuse i have every thing i need to do so

relining is not want i want to do becuse i want a 12ga but i dont know if rewelding it would work its a risk i cant afford to take  :'(

• Member 3
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 05:22:10 AM »
I need to see a REALLY GOOD close up photo of the problem before I comment again.  The barrels were sound when I sent them to you.
D. Taylor Sapergia

camerl2009

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 11:39:54 PM »
well tryed to take a good pic of them and there not showing up its vary small almost hairline

its the weld starting to split

im still thinking of ways to fix it i found a old post on here about repairing a crack in the barrel i'll see what happens
relining these is the last thing i want to do as i want a 12ga but its looking thats what i need to do