Author Topic: building a double barrel flintlock  (Read 17519 times)

greybeard

Re: building a double barrel flintlock
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 02:39:08 AM »
Cam;   Did you perchance give the barrel a water test to see if it leaks water where the hairline crack is.  It could just be a surface flaw.
       Bob

camerl2009

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 03:15:29 AM »
Cam;   Did you perchance give the barrel a water test to see if it leaks water where the hairline crack is.  It could just be a surface flaw.
       Bob

not yet i got to get some stopers but i can clearly see the steel is torn/cracked

camerl2009

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2011, 12:52:22 AM »
hmm as too the breech plugs i got some old ductile iron witch is just cast iron its from a old pipe that we had to replace i may be able to cast up some parts hmm time to get the smelter out hehehe

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2011, 02:24:06 AM »
Is it cast or is it true ductile iron?  I'd be suspect of the material of pipe. Also believe it would be easier to forge the plugs than go to the trouble of casting iron. Whatever you decide to do, post a photo when you're done .

camerl2009

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2011, 04:03:31 AM »
Is it cast or is it true ductile iron?  I'd be suspect of the material of pipe. Also believe it would be easier to forge the plugs than go to the trouble of casting iron. Whatever you decide to do, post a photo when you're done .

im sure its cast most of the pipe from the 20's is. all ductile iron is is a differnt form of cast iron cant be forged splaters all over the place

i could try to forge some from say 4140 or a differnt alloy im sure i could use just about any steel i could find

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2011, 05:10:43 AM »
OK.....

camerl2009

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2011, 02:54:00 AM »
so since the breech plugs fit inside the chamber im going to need something like 1"-8 thread witch has a Minor Diameter of .844 or so and a 1" major Diameter

what to use for the plugs them self's i can get just about any alloy i need whats the best to use

i guess im going to need to ream the forcing cone out too

now that i think about it i will need to cut a bit of the chambers off a 2 3/4" long breech plug is going to be a bit long  :D

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2011, 05:02:47 AM »
You've taken on quite a project but it seems by your questions that to some extent, you're winging it and depending on online advice rather than experience.  This is not a simple project everyone could complete successfully.  I certainly would not recommend building a double barrel including machining the plugs etc for anyone without extensive machining experience, breeching experience and gun building experience combined with a sound materials background. There's just too much risk for you and those around you.  As a moderator I hesitate to have the topic go further because you may feel confident you're getting the advice you need when in fact, without a hands on situation nobody here can really know what you're dealing with.  I hope others who just want to be helpful recognize the risks here.  Building a double online is like building a house online.  "I got a back-ho and the concrete- what do I do now?"  "OK, I got the basement poured and some lumber- what's next?"  I admit I'm being silly here but trying to make a point.  If you haven't been on site and participated in all the aspects of building a house, it would not be wise to take it on, with advice from a building forum. Some things just require a lot of expertise.
Andover, Vermont

Offline LynnC

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2011, 05:20:02 AM »
Cam -Those 12 gage barrels should have chambers of about 13/16" (.812") dia and are easily tapped 7/8 - 14 if memory serves me.  Measure and consult your machinist hand book.......................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

camerl2009

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2011, 02:00:27 AM »
Cam -Those 12 gage barrels should have chambers of about 13/16" (.812") dia and are easily tapped 7/8 - 14 if memory serves me.  Measure and consult your machinist hand book.......................Lynn

yes but the 7/8" thread bigist minor Diameter is .787" and thats under a 12ga chamber .812(or more older barrels may have a bigger chamber but i know for a fact that its about .815" on these maybe less some of my shells fit and some dont)

camerl2009

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2011, 02:19:34 AM »
You've taken on quite a project but it seems by your questions that to some extent, you're winging it and depending on online advice rather than experience.  This is not a simple project everyone could complete successfully.  I certainly would not recommend building a double barrel including machining the plugs etc for anyone without extensive machining experience, breeching experience and gun building experience combined with a sound materials background. There's just too much risk for you and those around you.  As a moderator I hesitate to have the topic go further because you may feel confident you're getting the advice you need when in fact, without a hands on situation nobody here can really know what you're dealing with.  I hope others who just want to be helpful recognize the risks here.  Building a double online is like building a house online.  "I got a back-ho and the concrete- what do I do now?"  "OK, I got the basement poured and some lumber- what's next?"  I admit I'm being silly here but trying to make a point.  If you haven't been on site and participated in all the aspects of building a house, it would not be wise to take it on, with advice from a building forum. Some things just require a lot of expertise.

well i would like to have someone with gunbuilding experience but i know that will never happen becuse no one around me does not even the gunsmith here thay deal with modern guns for the most part