Author Topic: TVM...Early Lancaster.......  (Read 5802 times)

Macon Due

TVM...Early Lancaster.......
« on: April 05, 2011, 04:02:40 AM »
Howdy all
I am still trying to finalize details on my Early Lancaster from TVM. It is still about 4-5 months out...but I have a few questions if some one would care to comment? On locks.......should I just go with the Large Siler [has to be left handed] or would an L&R..'Durs Egg be better. I guess part of my question relates to what would be appropiate on a 1750 to 1770 rifle? and secondly which of the locks is better function wise? Or perhaps would I want the L&R Queen Anne lock? Then there is the question of triggers......I really like the looks of the L&R #9 early style but maybe the Davis #6 would be better? As you can tell ,I'm a bit lost here. Thanks for any help.
Macon

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: TVM...Early Lancaster.......
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 04:29:53 AM »
The Durs Egg is 1790's or so, the Siler 1770's. I am not sure whether the TVM Lancaster would be accepted here as a 1750-1770 rifle.  The more we know the more we question things.  Keep in mind that there are no known verified 1750's-1760's Lancaster rifles, so it's not clear how anybody would make one.  It's possible the earliest Dickerts were late 1760's?  I don't recall his DOB.  There were some rifles being made in Lancaster in those decades; we don't know what they look like.
Andover, Vermont

Macon Due

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 04:57:51 AM »
Rich
Thank you for the info,guess it will be the Siler lock then. Some writings say he arrived here in 1750 others around 1769...so who knows I guess? Any idea on the triggers? I do want a rifle that 'looks' like it's from the right era but I guess even more important to me is that it function great and I like it. Have you recovered from the injury yet?
Thanks........Macon

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 04:52:12 PM »
For triggers, lots of folks like the Davis ones.  I don't use DSTs so have no experience.   Just use what you think will work best and fit the guard you're going to use well.

Recovered, thanks, but low on raw material to make flints.  Hope to collect some this weekend.
Andover, Vermont

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 04:58:30 PM »
Just a thought but I would ask for a Chambers-assembled Siler on your build.   If they don't offer them from TVM I would buy one from Jim and Barbie and send it to TVM for the build.  Not saying other folks don't do a good job of assembling Silers, but I don't think you can wrong with the quality, service and guarantee from the Chambers. 

Guy

Offline Kermit

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 07:22:28 PM »
Not the same gun, but... I have a TVM Early Virginia that's tarted up to look pretty much right--not that it matters, since this is a hunting gun. It's brass mounted, no patchbox, figured American walnut, Longhammock OTR rifled .54, and the L&R Queen Anne. Single trigger, BTW, which I like very much. Matt did a great job.

Mostly this is to say that I am quite happy with the L&R QA.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Ron Brimer

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 12:16:58 AM »
USE THE Siler, DELUX is the better of the Two silers ,call Barbie or Jim, they also sell the Davis no 4 dst, cant go wrong. I have used 6 Dulux locks this year, they will throw LOTS of sparks.
    Ron B

Macon Due

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 01:01:11 AM »
Ron
The Delux would be my 1st choice but the refuse to make it Left handed. The #4 trigger is a small one and TVM uses a larger set in the Lancasters, 'they say'.I really like the looks of the #9 L&R trigger set.

Kermit
Yeah I was thinking of the Queen Anne and TVM single trigger for my early Lancaster for a while..? I really want something that is going to fire all [most] of the time though...? [I had 2 Hatfilelds years ago and they sorta ruined me on flint.]

Rich
Thanks again.Glad you are recovered. It will still be a while till I need flints but soon as I get my TVM I'll be in touch.
Macon

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 07:05:26 AM »
Chambers locks, Davis sets. I rarely use anything else  unless I make it myself and that 's not any better. 

Macon Due

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 03:01:01 AM »
Well I guess I have settled on the Large Siler in lefy handed along with the Davis # DT-3 triggers.. What do you think on finish.........have TVM just do an slightly  'aged' bare metal? I'd really like it to be semi close to 1760-1775..era.
Thanks.......Macon