Author Topic: Christian Springs rifle on TOW  (Read 6046 times)

Bioprof

Christian Springs rifle on TOW
« on: April 08, 2011, 03:25:39 AM »
There's an unsigned Christian Springs rifle on TOW that I really like.   It has a great patina and I really like the carving.   If I was in the market to buy a rifle, I would seriously consider it even though it has a crack in the butt.   Too bad it doesn't have a swamped barrel though.   The forestock looks a little thick, but it does have a large bore.   I have no vested interest in it, but just like what I see.   The price seems fair too.  What do you think?   Does anyone recognize the handywork?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Christian Springs rifle on TOW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 02:55:34 PM »
what's the number?  AAJ501?  The carving is nice, the inletting and overall shaping is well executed.  No idea who the builder is.  He knows how to build and carve a rifle, but it has some unusual features.  The comb is very high where it meets the wrist, the lock is a little weird (very large round faced lock with an angular pan), it has a patent breech, the sideplate is a later style on an early rifle, and the wrist is pretty thin for a rifle of that bulk.  It bugs me a little when Track calls a rifle "Christian's Spring" when it is just an early styled rifle.
Andover, Vermont

Bioprof

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 06:19:42 PM »
what's the number?  AAJ501?  The carving is nice, the inletting and overall shaping is well executed.  No idea who the builder is.  He knows how to build and carve a rifle, but it has some unusual features.  The comb is very high where it meets the wrist, the lock is a little weird (very large round faced lock with an angular pan), it has a patent breech, the sideplate is a later style on an early rifle, and the wrist is pretty thin for a rifle of that bulk.  It bugs me a little when Track calls a rifle "Christian's Spring" when it is just an early styled rifle.

Yes, it is AAJ-501.   I now see that they have it attributed to Gary White and it is listed as sales pending.   Did someone get a bargain?

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 08:35:27 PM »
I think Christain's Spring label is put on that just to catch a buyer's eye. I think early PA and Christian's Spring have become synonomous with each other because of the few documented early PA rifles, a bunch are out of the CS shop. This rifle is a stretch form a CS point of view in my expert opinion  ;D. I've spent way too much time looking at pics of CS documented rifles. I built one just to get it out of my system.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 05:02:25 PM »
I think everyone here has been overly kind........That's a real clunker. I can't get past the lock area or the single trigger in the open bow. It struggles from one end to the other. Straight barrel too. Not a bargain at any price in my opinion.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 06:25:26 AM »
what's the number?  AAJ501?  The carving is nice, the inletting and overall shaping is well executed.  No idea who the builder is.  He knows how to build and carve a rifle, but it has some unusual features.  The comb is very high where it meets the wrist, the lock is a little weird (very large round faced lock with an angular pan), it has a patent breech, the sideplate is a later style on an early rifle, and the wrist is pretty thin for a rifle of that bulk.  It bugs me a little when Track calls a rifle "Christian's Spring" when it is just an early styled rifle.

Yes, it is AAJ-501.   I now see that they have it attributed to Gary White and it is listed as sales pending.   Did someone get a bargain?

That gun is not a bargain. The bore is even rusted.
People really have to start being more critical of stuff and call a spade a spade.
Life is too short to  shoot or make ugly guns.
Dan
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 06:26:20 AM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline t.caster

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 08:03:17 PM »
It's a stretch allright! But I have laughed at a lot of there attributions over the years!  An awful lot of the Lehigh & generic Lancaster shapes have been attributed to J P Beck >:(
I feel disenfranchised ::)
Tom C.