Author Topic: Carving  (Read 5954 times)

Gunn

Carving
« on: April 09, 2011, 07:41:38 PM »
I would like to know if there are any books out there that show the basic fundamentals of stock carving?  I can't at this time afford to go to one of the seminars.  So, I figure if there are books that might help, get me started in the right direction.  Thanks in advance.  Gunn

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Carving
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 07:45:35 PM »
Gunn: Lots of books and vidieos too. Books  from Dixons, Shumway and others plus vidieos from Brooks, Dangler, and American Pioner vidieo just to name a few.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:26:07 PM »
"Recreating The American Longrifle"  by; Buchele, Alexander and Shumway.  Available from TOW - Track of The Wolf.     Highly recommended by:  Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:28:57 PM »
Hi ya Gunn, welcome to ALR.

There is a very good tutorial on Relief Carving right here on this site.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=12.0

And there are tutorials on tool sharpening and carving on the old Archive ALR site.

Hope this helps.

-Ron
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:40:36 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 08:32:52 PM »
Gunsmiths Tips & Projects by Wolf Publishing is a great book for less than $20.00.  It has a whole series of articles written by John Bivins and others.  It specifically covers carving in the Bivins style, but there is so much more.  I can not recommend it highly enough.
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 09:30:07 PM »
  Plus 1 on that book.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 10:04:25 PM »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 10:05:46 PM »
I agree with Ron on the Bivins articles.  As a resident of the west coast, John was my first mentor via Rifle magazine.  A lot of good articles were written by him and it is a blessing that they are captured as a group in the Gunsmiths Tips and Projects book.
DMR

California Kid

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 10:27:49 PM »
Too bad its out of print, but Wolfe does have an updated, revised edition on their website now though.
I don't know if John's articles are still in it or not. Does anybody know?
There is also a book titled Manual of Traditional Wood Carving, a reprint from Dover that is very helpful. Not
specifically gun carving, but still the same technique.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 10:49:48 PM »
Gary Brumfield has an excellent powerpoint presentation on his website here:
http://www.flintriflesmith.com/ToolsandTechniques/tools_and_techniques.htm

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 02:59:18 AM »
All excellent suggestions.  I would add David Price's book on carving.  It's not inexpensive, but has excellent photos and descriptions.  I found it to be very useful when I was first starting to carve.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Dave B

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 03:57:29 AM »
Here is a link for the Gunsmithing tips and Projects first edition used  The new second edition is $40.  I can vouch for the first one as being worth the investment.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0935632816/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
Dave Blaisdell

Offline James

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 05:08:19 AM »
Thanks for pointing in the direction of Bivins articles in the Gunsmithing Tips book. Got a used copy the other day and have learned much already.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 05:29:36 PM »
Gunn - a stong second (or third?) on Biven's articles in 'Gunsmithing Tips..'.  Biven's was not only a great artist and scholar of the longrifle, he was (I think) the best writer on the topic.  His articles, and the book has many, not just on carving, are a real pleasure to read and reread.