Author Topic: Unknown 110322-2 (Reading)  (Read 5486 times)

Offline nord

Unknown 110322-2 (Reading)
« on: April 10, 2011, 10:47:58 PM »

Comments:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The incise carving and patchbox engraving look a lot like Upper Susquahanna work. Wonder if this might be from there, an early Upper Susquahanna gun, with its "Roman nose, and we are getting mislead by the patchbox finial? -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many who have seen this gun think it is an Angstadt, probably Abraham. It was published in KRA 1750-1850 as "Reading" but no support given. Probably the carving style as it seems similar to many other signed Angstadts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I can see the Angstadt attribution, the engraving (and carving) does look like the work of one of the Angstadts. The rifle has a pleasing look, but the lock throws me, it appears that it was changed when the gun was converted to percussion.   It still has that Upper Susquehanna look....could be a Gideon Angstadt?  What about the Albrights?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My vote is for an Angstat origin, and it should be placed in the Library. A direct photo of the carving could perhaps tell us a lot, but we see only an oblique view at an angle. Nice rifle and will complement the other Reading pieces very well.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 04:22:04 AM by rich pierce »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.